Life Sciences Research Associate - Liver Fibrosis
Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is seeking a full-time Life Sciences Research Associate to support ongoing studies on the mechanisms of liver fibrosis and stellate cell activation using in vitro and in vivo models of non-alcoholic and alcoholic steatohepatitis. More specifically, studies focusing on matrix remodeling, and the role matrix-cell cross talk in fibrosis and cancer with a goal of translating findings and developing novel therapeutic approaches that reverse fibrosis and improve patient outcomes.
The Research Associate will design, implement, and lead basic and applied research, development and scientific research projects independently and in collaboration with the Principal Investigator, Natalie Torok, M.D., MSC, and other research staff.
This laboratory focuses on the mechanisms of liver fibrosis and stellate cell activation using in vitro and in vivo models of non-alcoholic and alcoholic steatohepatitis. More specifically, we are interested in matrix remodeling, and the role matrix-cell cross talk in fibrosis and cancer. Our goal is to translate our findings and develop novel therapeutic approaches that reverse fibrosis and improve patient outcomes.
This position holds responsibility to participate in the development of areas of investigation toward improved methodologies and innovative therapies in rehabilitative and regenerative medicine by combining state-of-the-art stem cell therapeutics with advances in material science. These investigations will generally involve the development of new techniques and identification of worthy methodologies for practical solutions for routine clinical use.
PAVIR is delighted to offer a robust and comprehensive employee benefits package with exceptional offerings such as health, dental and vision insurance, 14 paid holidays, generous vacation and sick pay policies, a 401(k) with a fully vested 6% company match and 3% profit share, a wellness program, commuter benefits, and professional development training. Plus, we pay for life, short-term disability, and long-term disability insurance.
- Perform advanced biological techniques and procedures using live animals (mice), animal tissue and cells;
- Collaborate with the P.I. on the design and execution of laboratory experiments; Serve as the main contact for experiments;
- Develop and validate experimental protocols;
- Analyze data from experiments;
- Prepare charts for presentations and publication;
- Write papers on projects for publication;
- Perform general lab organization; Guide and train lab technicians and other tasks as assigned.
- D. and/or MD;
- Three years of prior research experience.
- Degree in biology, cell biology, molecular or matrix biology or a related discipline;
- Three years of prior research experience in biology, cell biology, molecular or matrix biology or a related discipline;
- Three years of experience working with mice, rats, and writing protocols.
- Advanced knowledge of scientific research methodology is preferred;
- Ability to troubleshoot an experiment as necessary;
- Exquisite record keeping and experimental documentation capabilities is preferred;
- Excellent organizational skills is preferred;
- Excellent writing skills (manuscripts, and grants)
- Strong scientific writing skills and demonstrated capacity to drive first author publications is preferred;
- Knowledge of safe handling/storage of biohazardous chemicals & bloodborne pathogens;
- Solid training in general lab skills such as PCR analysis, genomic and plasmid DNA preparation, protein measurements, and tissue homogenization; advanced microscopy is preferred;
- Solid training in analytical skills, including routine calculations of dilution factors and solution concentrations as well as using Excel and other programs for data calculation and analysis;
- Knowledge of research procedures and protocols gained through education or experience;
- Experience in a variety of research techniques/methods and follow-up data collection;
- Knowledge of laboratory safety rules and procedures;
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal), including public speaking skills;
- Ability to work independently and proactively;
- Ability to work within a team context and collaborate with other lab personnel.
ABOUT PALO ALTO VETERANS INSTITUTE FOR RESEARCH (PAVIR)
PAVIR facilitates research and education activities conducted at the VA Palo Alto Health Care System. At PAVIR we work with more than 160 uniquely talented medical scientists. We recruit and retain talented employees who believe in making a difference in the lives of others through innovative health research.
READY TO JOIN OUR RESEARCH TEAM?
If you feel that you would be right for this job, please fill out our initial 3-minute, mobile-friendly application. We look forward to meeting you!
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved appointment with VA and complete a background check before they can commence work.
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, Women, Veterans, and Individuals with a Disability are encouraged to apply. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact email@example.com - Human Resources department.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.