Internship - Transmission Analytics
Calpine Corporation is America's largest generator of electricity from natural gas and geothermal resources with operations in competitive power markets. Its fleet of 76 power plants in operation and one under construction represents nearly 26,000 megawatts of generation capacity. Through wholesale power operations and its retail businesses, Calpine serves customers in 22 states, Canada and Mexico. Its clean, efficient, modern and flexible fleet uses advanced technologies to generate power in a low-carbon and environmentally responsible manner.
The company was established on the premise that a strong commitment to the environment is inextricably linked to excellence in power generation and corporate responsibility. Since its founding in 1984, Calpine has led the power industry in its unwavering commitment to environmental stewardship. In addition, its renewable geothermal plants use steam generated deep below the earth's surface to produce clean, renewable electricity.
Job Summary (includes but is not limited to the following, other duties may be assigned)
Support analysis of business decisions and strategic issues, including issues related to electricity and natural gas markets, transmission analysis, load forecasting, plant operations and dispatch, asset and contract commodity margins.
- Electrical load flow studies associated with Calpine’s use of the electric transmission system.
- Data integrity, data automation, efficiency improvement for Transmission Analytics.
- Power grid network model development and validation
- Calpine’s proprietary production cost model based, LMP market modeling and analytics platform.
- Transmission system studies and market simulations, using power flow programs and market modeling platforms to identify transmission system capabilities and limitations, and determine risks and opportunities for Calpine’s generation assets and commercial positions.
- Hedging and trading activity support through CRRs/FTRs and other market transactions to help optimize Calpine’s portfolio.
- Regular short-term to mid-term market reports and forecasts.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Candidate should be working on a Bachelor’s or advanced degree in a quantitative or analytical field, such as electrical engineering, mathematics, statistics, business, economics, or physics at an accredited college or university.
- Must have at least three years of undergraduate coursework completed by the start of the internship. Graduate students also encouraged to apply. Electrical engineering with power flow analysis experience and IT programming skills is highly desired.
- Minimum GPA 3.2
- Legally eligible to work in the United States now and in the future
- Demonstrated aptitude applying analytical tools such as Microsoft Excel, R, VBA, Python, PSSe, PowerWorld, UPLAN/PROMOD, SQL Server database or similar programming environments.
- Knowledge of or experience with Security-constrained unit commitment and Security-constrained economic dispatch
- Able to work autonomously and under the pressure of multiple deadlines
- Demonstrated understanding Microsoft Office products (VBA, Excel, PowerPoint, and Word)
- Knowledge of the energy industry, specifically ISOs, the independent power or utility sector, is a plus.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are a must.
- Team player who enjoys diving into issues, brainstorming solutions, and learning new methods and tools to address problems.
- High degree of enthusiasm and drive.
- Good problem solving and analytical ability
- Good organization skills and attention to details are essential
Additional Calpine Information
Vaccination Information: Calpine requires an individual who is newly hired into this position to be vaccinated for COVID-19 within the first 28 days of employment - if not already vaccinated prior to starting employment. If you have any concerns regarding compliance with this requirement, you will need to discuss your concerns with Calpine’s HR department after a decision has been made about whether or not to make you a conditional offer of employment. Calpine does not require applicants to discuss vaccination status prior to receipt of a conditional offer of employment and complies with all applicable laws requiring reasonable accommodation.
Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.
Calpine is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please send an e-mail with your request to email@example.com. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are made on case-by-case basis.
Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP here