Senior Research Associate, Vector Core - Gene Therapy
Why Join Us?
Be a hero for our rare disease patients
At Ultragenyx, we fundamentally believe that taking real impactful action to care for the needs of patients and our people is always the right thing to do. To achieve this goal, our vision is to lead the future of rare disease medicine. For us, this means going where other biopharma companies won’t go – challenging the status quo and creating a new model that advances our field so more patients and caregivers can benefit from life-changing treatments. We do this by following the science, applying a novel rapid development approach, making innovative medicines at fair and reasonable prices, and creating a collaborative ecosystem to reach patients in ways that are most meaningful for them.
Our commitment and care for patients extends to our people, so culture is an essential cornerstone for Ultragenyx. We remain continuously focused on creating a supportive and inclusive environment of profound learning and growth – so employees can thrive in all areas of their lives, in and outside of work. Ultimately, we want to be an organization where we would be proud for our family, friends and children to work.
If you want to have a meaningful impact, do the best work of your career, and grow a lot, both professionally and personally, come join our team. During the COVID-19 pandemic, we are committed to the health and safety of our employees and prospective employees, which means at this time our interview processes may include virtual discussions, interviews, and onboarding. Please note that compliance with local regulations and safety protocols is a condition of employment at Ultragenyx. Elements of safety protocols may include, but are not limited to: work from home requirements, regular or symptom-based covid testing, providing valid evidence of vaccination, mask wearing, and physical distancing.
US based roles: Full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment at Ultragenyx. This requirement applies to almost all roles at Ultragenyx based in the U.S., with very limited exceptions. If you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a disability, serious medical condition, or because it would violate your sincerely held religious belief, you will have an opportunity to request a reasonable accommodation.
Roles based outside the US: If the role requires travel to the US or another country that requires evidence of covid vaccination for entry, candidates and employees will be required follow the local regulations and corporate policy regarding vaccination evidence submission.
ultraimpact – Make a difference for those who need it most
Ultragenyx has multiple Gene Therapy programs in development in the rare and ultrarare disease space, a robust pipeline. We are building a state of the art GMP manufacturing facility in Bedford, MA. Join our team!
Reporting to the Senior Director of Vector Platform Research, the Senior Research Associate will support and execute the production and purification of rAAV from HEK and HeLa Producer Cell Line systems, as well as iterative improvement of these processes by performing hypothesis-driven research. This role will place specific emphasis on the downstream purification of rAAV including filtration processes, chromatography, and final formulation of research grade material.
Core Lab & Ops: This role typically requires that the majority of the work be conducted on-site and thus will be subject to certain on-site safety protocols during the pandemic.
- Execute process development activities for the downstream purification of rAAV from HEK and HeLa cell culture systems including filtration processes (microfiltration, depth filtration, ultrafiltration, diafiltration, sterile filtration) and chromatography (affinity, ion exclusion, size exclusion)
- Work with a dynamic team to generate, purify and characterize novel AAV gene therapy viral vectors
- Work with senior research staff to continue to improve the throughput and product quality of rAAV production via process improvements, bioreactor optimization and independent research
- Communicate results and research progress with the team and during departmental meetings
- Prepare, write, analyze, and present technical data and reports
- Work as part of a cross-functional team to drive innovation
- BSc in Biology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Virology or cognate discipline with 2-4 years industry experience or,
- MSc in Biology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Virology or cognate discipline with 1-3 years industry experience
- Experience in the downstream processing of large molecules, viral preparations or other applicable biomolecules required; Experience with AAV/rAAV preferred
- Experience in the use and care of AKTA FPLC systems required
- Solid knowledge base of and experience in molecular biology techniques required
- Mammalian cell culture experience preferred
- Ability and desire to work in a fast-paced environment
- Strong collaboration, team-working skills and communication skills
- Independently motivated and detail-oriented with good problem-solving ability
- Travel: approximately 0-5 %
Full Time employees across the globe enjoy a range of benefits, including, but not limited to:
· Generous vacation time and public holidays observed by the company
· Volunteer days
· Long term incentive and Employee stock purchase plans or equivalent offerings
· Employee wellbeing benefits
· Fitness reimbursement
· Tuition sponsoring
· Professional development plans
* Benefits vary by region and country
Ultragenyx Pharmaceutical is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital and veteran status. Reasonable accommodation will be provided for qualified individuals with disabilities and for qualified disabled veterans in job application procedures, as required by applicable law. If you have any difficulty using our online application system and need an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact Talent Acquisition by calling: (415) 483-8800 or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. For electronic email and mail inquiries, please include a description of your requested accommodation, your name and contact information.
Note to External Recruiters: All candidate activity and open positions are managed strictly through our Human Resources Department. Our Human Resources Department kindly requests that recruiters not contact employees/hiring managers directly in an attempt to solicit business and present candidates. Please note that failure to comply with this request will be a factor in determining a professional relationship with our organization. Submission of unsolicited resumes prior to an agreement set in place between the Human Resources Department and the recruiting agency will not create any implied obligation. Inquiries on developing a recruiting relationship with us, may be directed to: email@example.com.