Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory is seeking a Media Strategist to handle media relations and publicity development to increase the visibility of CSHL Communications programs and products in popular media. Writing and distributing media advisories, releases, and stories, written and verbal pitching to outlets and individually targeted journalists. Relationship-building with media and potential CSHL partners in publicity activities of mutual interest. Must be comfortable with maintaining, utilizing, analyzing, and creating data-driven strategies. Ability to leverage the latest communications industry technologies and digital tools. Contribute to a highly interactive team environment. Science interest is a plus.
- Maintain media and contact lists utilizing Cision. Manage electronic distribution tools for various products, including press releases, media advisories, and other products to be pitched to media outlets; these include but are not limited to PRNews Wire and Eureka Alerts.
- Create and build relationships with the media.
- Write media advisories, releases, and calendar listings and utilize available channels to promote events, awards, news items, feature stories, and other products
- Coordinate special projects: film crews, photoshoots, media interviews
- Direct as well as respond to media inquiries.
- Strong working skills in Salesforce for nonprofits. Can build journeys based on specific CRM data points. Can maintain the CRM and create strategies to best leverage the technology
- Assist with the monthly publishing of the electronic Newsletter as directed. Collect info and write first drafts. Utilizing Salesforce (alumni and the general public – Total circulation: 10,000)
- Help create strategies and promotional material for CSHL events, programs, and the web utilizing social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and all other social channels.
- Triage telephone, email, and other inquiries
- Identify opportunities for increased CSHL visibility in the NY metro area and digital communities related to organizations with mutual interests.
- Propose strategic initiatives to leverage CSHL Communications programs and products in building public awareness for CSHL
- Support departmental and institutional initiatives with publicity strategies and tactics
- Expert knowledge level of Salesforce, Cision, and PRNews wire to communicate to audiences and push content to them is required or equivalent software platforms
- Highly organized, adaptable quick-study, and interested in building a career in events, community outreach, and communications
Education: Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations program, or related area
Experience: 3 years of communications, public relations experience preferred
· Superior writing, editing and proofreading skills essential
· Experience with Macintosh desktop publishing (Microsoft Office Products)
· Experience with latest digital technologies in communications industry
· Ability to prioritize tasks and work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
· Ability to work independently and contribute to team
· Organized and fast learner
Candidates from non-traditional and/or underrepresented backgrounds, broadly defined, are strongly encouraged to apply.
For immediate consideration, please apply online to https://cshl.peopleadmin.com/postings/20204
Founded in 1890, CSHL has helped shape contemporary biomedical research and education with today’s research endeavors encompassing cancer, neuroscience, plant biology and quantitative biology. CSHL is a private, not-for-profit institution in New York and has been home to eight Nobel Prize winners. Today, CSHL’s multidisciplinary scientific community is bolstered by more than 600 researchers and its Scientific Meetings & Courses Program, which hosts more than 9,000 scientists from around the world each year on its campus. For more information about CSHL, please visit us at https://www.cshl.edu
You are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 as a condition to your employment at the Laboratory. You will be required to provide proof of your vaccination on your first day of employment. For those individuals, who are unable to receive a vaccine due to access issues, they will be expected to receive the vaccine upon arrival in New York.
CSHL is an EO/AA Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or protected veteran status. VEVRAA Federal Contractor