Internship - Treasury, Financial Analysis
Calpine Corporation is America's largest generator of electricity from natural gas and geothermal resources with operations in competitive power markets. Its fleet of 76 power plants in operation and one under construction represents nearly 26,000 megawatts of generation capacity. Through wholesale power operations and its retail businesses, Calpine serves customers in 22 states, Canada and Mexico. Its clean, efficient, modern and flexible fleet uses advanced technologies to generate power in a low-carbon and environmentally responsible manner.
The company was established on the premise that a strong commitment to the environment is inextricably linked to excellence in power generation and corporate responsibility. Since its founding in 1984, Calpine has led the power industry in its unwavering commitment to environmental stewardship. In addition, its renewable geothermal plants use steam generated deep below the earth's surface to produce clean, renewable electricity.
Job Summary (includes but is not limited to the following, other duties may be assigned)
This internship will provide an undergraduate level student, who is seeking a career in Financial Analysis, to develop professionally as well as to enhance their knowledge in the power generation industry, natural gas, solar, storage assets and all aspects of Calpine businesses. This position will require the individual to work a normal 40-hour work week. This job is based in the Corporate Office (Houston, TX) and may require in-office or work from home hours.
The internship will support Calpine’s Financial Analysis team.
- Prepares and analyzes portions of the monthly variance analysis and cost statements including forecast updates.
- Assists in corporate and project level debt financings
- Assists in coordination of accounting information from directors/managers
- Assist in financial analysis and valuation of capital allocation initiatives
- Assists with preparation of department budget and metrics.
- Develops and maintains job processes and procedures.
- Researching modeling techniques, competitors and transactions
- Analyzing Bloomberg terminal/data
- Specific projects will be determined throughout the internship.
- Must have at least two years of undergraduate coursework completed by the start of the internship. Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Finance at an accredited university or college.
- Minimum GPA 3.0.
- Legally eligible to work in the United States now and in the future
- Proficiency in building financial models and creating complex Excel models
- Demonstrated aptitude applying analytical tools such as Microsoft Excel,
- Able to work autonomously and under the pressure of multiple deadlines
- Demonstrated understanding Microsoft Office products (VBA, Excel, PowerPoint, and Word)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Team player who enjoys diving into issues, brainstorming solutions, and learning new methods and tools to address problems
- High degree of enthusiasm and drive
- Must be flexible and able to work harmoniously with others
- Good problem solving and analytical ability
- Good organization skills and attention to details are essential
- Proficient in Microsoft Windows, Word and Excel;
- Excellent verbal and written skills;
- Must be able to follow instructions precisely and be detail-oriented;
- Ability to work 40 hours per week;
- Self-motivated team player;
- Ability to travel with notice; and
- Reliable in meeting commitments, prompt in attending meetings and making deadlines.
Additional Calpine Information:
- Vaccination Information: Calpine requires an individual who is newly hired into this position to be vaccinated for COVID-19 within the first 28 days of employment - if not already vaccinated prior to starting employment. If you have any concerns regarding compliance with this requirement, you will need to discuss your concerns with Calpine’s HR department after a decision has been made about whether or not to make you a conditional offer of employment. Calpine does not require applicants to discuss vaccination status prior to receipt of a conditional offer of employment and complies with all applicable laws requiring reasonable accommodation.
- Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.
- Calpine is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please send an e-mail with your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are made on case-by-case basis.
Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP here