Internship - Power Engineering Analytics
Calpine Corporation is America's largest generator of electricity from natural gas and geothermal resources with operations in competitive power markets. Its fleet of 76 power plants in operation and one under construction represents nearly 26,000 megawatts of generation capacity. Through wholesale power operations and its retail businesses, Calpine serves customers in 22 states, Canada and Mexico. Its clean, efficient, modern and flexible fleet uses advanced technologies to generate power in a low-carbon and environmentally responsible manner.
The company was established on the premise that a strong commitment to the environment is inextricably linked to excellence in power generation and corporate responsibility. Since its founding in 1984, Calpine has led the power industry in its unwavering commitment to environmental stewardship. In addition, its renewable geothermal plants use steam generated deep below the earth's surface to produce clean, renewable electricity.
Job Summary (includes but is not limited to the following, other duties may be assigned)
This supervised position will allow for a college student who is seeking a career in Analytics to develop professionally as well as to enhance their knowledge with regard to the power generation industry, power/gas commodities markets, and all aspects of Calpine functions. This position will require the individual to work a normal day shift. This job will be based out of the Corporate Office (Houston, TX) and may require in-office or work from home hours.
The Asset Management team at Calpine Corp. works with the commercial and operations groups to analyze plant performance and propose actionable feedback. The team aggregates data and develops models used to assess Calpine’s fleet of power generation assets. Focus is given to budgetary items with an eye on cost-saving initiatives.
The intern will support Calpine’s Asset Management team.
- Supporting model development to assist in evaluation of plant performance for dispatch and market monitoring purposes
- Combustion Turbine Generator (CTG) degradation studies
- Conducting/analyzing gas turbine firing curve surveys
- Turbine parts fall out rate studies
- Plant upgrade and optimization studies
- Candidate should be a rising Senior or graduate student working towards a degree in Engineering at an accredited college or university.
- Minimum 3.0 GPA required.
- Legally eligible to work in the US now and in the future.
- Strong Excel skills (Vlookup, Sumifs, Pivot Tables, Macros)
- Demonstrated modeling aptitude creating complex Excel models.
- Ability to apply analytical tools such as Tableau
- Knowledge of the energy industry, specifically the power or utility sector, is a plus.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Good problem solving and analytical ability
- Good organization skills and attention to details are essential
Additional Calpine Information:
- Vaccination Information: Calpine requires an individual who is newly hired into this position to be vaccinated for COVID-19 within the first 28 days of employment - if not already vaccinated prior to starting employment. If you have any concerns regarding compliance with this requirement, you will need to discuss your concerns with Calpine’s HR department after a decision has been made about whether or not to make you a conditional offer of employment. Calpine does not require applicants to discuss vaccination status prior to receipt of a conditional offer of employment and complies with all applicable laws requiring reasonable accommodation.
- Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.
- Calpine is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please send an e-mail with your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are made on case-by-case basis.
Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP here