Life Science and Mass Spectrometry Intern
The Research and Development group of the Life Sciences and Mass Spectrometry business unit is offering a unique opportunity for a dedicated individual looking to gain experience and play a role in the design and development of technology critical to supporting Thermo Fisher’s position as the leader in mass spectrometry.
The selected candidate will take part in the company’s Internship Program, where they will be part of a highly innovative environment and work in an interdisciplinary team together with R&D scientists, application and marketing specialists, as well as external collaborators.
The intern will be responsible for their own project which will focus on researching and analyzing operation of triple quadrupole mass analyzers.
The intern will be able to directly contribute to research efforts that aim towards improving performance of one of the key analytical platforms which is likely to produce important commercial impact in the future while being mentored by experts in the field. The intern will also learn various aspects of tuning/fixing procedures for triple quadrupole instrumentation and gain insight into the key underlying technologies.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Evaluate different aspects of performance of triple quadrupole mass spectrometers related to vacuum system, ion source and optics, as well as detector operation
- Process experimental results to make presentations
- Together with the science and engineering team work to identify potential improvements to the analyzer components or the associated electronics
- Masters degree candidate with undergraduate degree (e.g. Bachelor’s) in chemistry, physics, engineering or related field
- Post-graduate experience in mass spectrometry, hands-on experience with hardware is a plus
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to efficiently present and explain scientific results to people with different backgrounds
- Self-motivated and sense of ownership over the project in order to bring it to successful completion
- Good understanding of fundamental science and technology related to mass analyzers is a plus
- Masters degree candidate