Practical Process Improvement Intern
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work. You’ll have the opportunity to grow and learn in a culture that empowers your development. We have built an inclusive, global environment that values the power of diverse talent, backgrounds, and experiences to drive speed, efficiency, innovation, and growth.
Our internship program will give you a chance to get real world business experience and build your network before graduation. We are seeking an upbeat, responsible intern to join our growing organization. In this position, you will learn the ins-and-outs of our daily routines and procedures. You will focus on learning how our organization runs and will gain valuable insight that can further your interest in your chosen career field. This position has many opportunities to offer!
Customers throughout the globe rely on our extensive range of products and services—from next-generation instruments to everyday lab essentials to life-saving medicine. If you desire to be a part of a world-class team, Thermo Fisher Scientific can provide you with the opportunity to work in quality assurance and regulatory affairs to produce products that enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Your work will support the Growth and Strategy team within the Laboratory Products Division. You will have the opportunity to lead a PPI project to make significant improvement of a process supporting our two business units and functions, such as R&D, program management or operations. You will have the opportunity to learn our Practical Process Improvement Business System, which is used Globally throughout Thermo Fisher Scientific.
This internship position provides an opportunity for an engineering student to gain intimate knowledge of the operating mechanisms we use to advance critical initiatives in our fast-paced Laboratory Products Division. The intern will collaborate with Marketing, R&D, Project Management and corporate colleagues and add to business process improvement projects.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Identify an improvement opportunity within the division. Prepare a project charter with Goals and participate in the 8-step problem solving process
- Learn and champion the PPI Business System Framework
- Help identify and prioritize current process improvement projects
- Partner with the corporate PPI team and tailor activities for the LPD division
- Lead a PPI program with the process owner and cross-functional team
- Create and update documentation in alignment with the project
- May be required to assist other duties, as needed
- Currently pursuing a BS degree in Process Improvement or STEM/Engineering. Dual Degree in Business & Engineering, Industrial Engineering, or Mechanical Engineering is preferred
- Basic understanding of engineering problem solving, lean six sigma, etc
- Experience with MS Office, PowerBI or database software
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a cross-functional team. Team leadership is a plus
- Strong willingness to learn, be mentored and improve
- Desire to chip in and improve design of processes
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Equal Employment Opportunity & Accessibility
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Thermo Fisher Scientific offers accessibility service for job seekers requiring accommodations in the job application process. For example, this may include individuals requiring assistance because of hearing, vision, mobility, or cognitive impairments. If you require accessibility assistance or an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please submit a request by telephone at 1-855-471-2255*. Please include your contact information and specific details about your required accommodation to support you during the job application process.
Thermo Fisher does not offer employment in this position to holders of F-1, J-1, H-1, OPT, and CPT Visas for the purpose of obtaining practical experience.