Scientist, Bioactive Product Formulation
Brightseed is a pioneer in biosciences and artificial intelligence that illuminates nature to restore human health. Through Forager® A.I. and clinical evaluation, Brightseed helps companies gain the deepest insight into bioactives and their innovation potential. Forager A.I. accelerates bioactive discovery and biological validation from years to months – and is rapidly revealing new connections between nature and humanity. Brightseed partners with companies across the consumer health continuum to provide novel insights and science-backed health solutions.
Bioactives are small molecule compounds produced by plants, fungi, and microbes that grow in and adapt to environments that present a wide range of challenges to their survival. Bioactives also benefit the health of humans – they are the enlivening caffeine in tea, the powerful antioxidant lycopene in tomatoes, and they inform active ingredients in medicines like Taxol, Aspirin and Metformin, a first-line treatment for Type 2 diabetes, derived from the French lilac flower. Science has long known that bioactives are critical to human health, yet the vast majority remain unknown and uncharted. Brightseed’s A.I., Forager®, discovers bioactives in nature and maps them to human health outcomes at a rate and accuracy that was previously impossible.
You are an accomplished food scientist, with experience developing products and processes, to help deliver functional ingredients to the food and supplement industry. At Brightseed, you will join a team of engineers and scientists that are responsible for developing robust processes for these micronutrients, using extraction, purification, milling, filtration, and spray drying processes which will be utilized for prototypes delivered to the food and supplement industry. You will be involved in fundamental product & process development activities, at the bench, pilot, and commercial scale, for end products as tablets, caplets, and food prototypes; and conducting/coordinating sensory analyses. You will help develop in-depth understanding of the bioavailability of these micronutrients using/developing novel processes. Ultimately, your work will result in commercial-scale ingredient manufacturing for the food and supplement industry for the robust and economic production of our bioactive portfolio.
- Construct spreadsheet models of major process streams and economics based on bench and pilot-scale results
- Design and conduct product & process feasibility trials
- Optimize process performance to reliably achieve product specifications, reduce processing costs and increase productivity
- Identify and engage with pilot and contract manufacturing partners with capabilities amenable to our processes
- Produce bioactive compounds with high bioavailability and lead product development efforts and sensory analysis
- BS/MS in Food Science or Food Engineering, with 5+ years of product & process development experience.
- PhD in Food Science or Food Engineering, with 2+ years of product & process development experience.
- Experience in material science measurements to optimize process and product attributes is a requirement.
- Hands-on bench experience to support both scale-up and scale-down research efforts.
- Additional experience with one or more of the following a plus: Commercial product manufacturing, Food processing, Plant raw material sourcing and food supply chains.
- Techno-economic assessment.
- Ability to adapt and excel in a rapidly moving environment while prioritizing and managing multiple projects/workload.
- Self-starter with good organizational skills; able to work effectively in cross-functional teams, providing strong analytical, process design, and root cause analysis skills.
- Attention to details that includes rigorous review of the data and record-keeping.
- You are a champion for rigorous science, and proactively educate and learn from others.
THE BENEFITS YOU’LL ENJOY
As a lab based company, where in person collaboration is key to drive innovation, we encourage all team members to be in our office most days each week. However we appreciate and honor the need and desire for flexibility and have implemented a hybrid working model. We have a fully stocked healthy kitchen, a gym onsite, plenty of free parking, weekly team events and a state-of-the-art lab and office.
We offer a competitive total rewards package with team-first benefits programs for full-time employees, including medical, dental and vision coverage, unlimited paid time off, life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance programs, 401(k) plan, a mental health platform, employee discounts, payroll credits for cell phone and commuter costs and a paid parental leave program.
JOIN US, AND BE YOU
We are committed to making transformative discoveries with a team-first mentality. Successful team members are truth-seeking and trusting, with the tenacity required to trail blaze in uncharted territory. We are a collaborative team that actively seeks input and values differing perspectives. And we produce tangible results, holding ourselves accountable in the process.
We are also committed to cultivating and preserving a culture of connectedness and inclusion. We grow and learn together, respecting professional and personal experiences, areas of expertise, and types of self expression.
In recruiting for our team, we welcome the unique contributions that each one of us brings in terms of education, opinions, culture, color, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran’s status, religion, different abilities, sexual orientation and beliefs.