Compute & Storage Systems Engineer
Why you should join our team
As VELCO’s Compute and Storage Systems Engineer, you will be part of a team that provides technical engineering and administrative systems support across the enterprise, regulated and unregulated environments. You will be responsible for providing design, implementation, and administration of the enterprise compute and storage technologies, adhering to compliance and security requirements.
How you will make an impact
· Responsible for the server and storage platform infrastructure supporting enterprise functions across business and engineering customer groups, including SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition) and EMS (Energy Management System) services.
· Provide the lifecycle support of the computer and storage platforms, including coordinating and executing security and other updates, upgrades, and patching of Windows server, VMWare, and storage (San) on premise platforms. In managing the environment, you will also look for opportunities to continuously develop these platforms.
· Support the enterprise security framework via following best practices in deployment, operation and maintenance of solutions across enterprise platforms.
· Provide technical expertise supporting strategic initiatives across the company in creating solutions to meet emerging projects.
· Collaborate in evaluations of security threats and vulnerabilities in managing compute and storage platform risks, security investigations/audits, standards interpretations and analysis, and ongoing program risk assessment activities.
· Participate in incident response and emergency preparation activities.
· Participates on key initiatives within the company.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
Who you are
To thrive in this role, you must have 3- 5 years of experience in this field. A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, or related discipline. Equivalent work experience is also considered. A Master’s degree may be substituted for some experience. Other industry-specific certifications are expected. Advanced platform training highly desirable.
Required knowledge and skills include:
· Microsoft Windows server 2012, 2016, 2019, workstation, Linux, VMWare, storage (HP, San Fabric) and associated networking technologies (Cisco, ACI).
· HPE servers, storage arrays, workstation system administration including peer persistence, remote copy configurations firmware/ driver updates and system maintenance. OneView, SSMC, C7000, and Synergy Frames.
· SAN Fabric technologies; Fiber Channel, iSCSI, and NFS. Host connectivity and LUN/VVOL provisioning
· VMware: ESXi 6.5, 6.7, 7.0 installations, System Administration, upgrades, Firmware/Driver updates and system maintenance. Update Manager and Lifecycle Manager.
· Various versions of SQL. DHCP, DNS, GPO, WSUS, SCCM. Windows 7/10 PCs.
· Monitoring Tools: Solarwinds, WhatsUp Gold, Nagios
· Backup Software: VEEAM
· Familiarity with NERC CIP Standards, NIST, US-Cert, CISA, and/ or CIS Critical Security Controls a plus
· Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
VELCO’s commitment to our employees
• Paid Time Off – Everyone needs time off to recharge. New employees are frontloaded with prorated time off dependent upon date of hire
• Sick Leave – We advocate for staying home when you are sick
• Paid Holidays – We observe 11 paid company holidays
• Medical – Select from two comprehensive health plans. Employees have access to a Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account. We allow documented Domestic Partners on our plans
• Dental & Vision – Offers a wide range of covered services
• Wellness Program – Allows you to receive up to $100 per year for reimbursement of approved wellness expenses
• Employee Assistance Program (EAP) – Aids with mental health, stress management, work-life balance, financial and legal matters, and much more
• 401K – We offer a very generous employer match and profit share contribution
• Short Term Incentive Bonus – VELCO proudly offers a yearly incentive bonus based on individual contributions and key performance indicators
• Life Insurance – VELCO paid life insurance and supplemental coverages are available
· Starting pay will be determined at the time of offer based on the experience, education, and training of the successful candidate.
· Eligible applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.
· Any offer of employment will be contingent upon successful reference check, background check, physical examination, drug screening, and documentation of Covid-19 vaccination
· VELCO utilizes a hybrid work schedule. Travel to the Rutland campus is expected at least twice per week
· VELCO is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran
The Fine Print
A strong work ethic and ability to work independently. The talent for teamwork, collaboration and communication are vital. The ability to manage multiple assignments and produce results in a high demand environment is central to the position.
· Must be able to withstand prolonged periods of sitting or standing at a desk working at a computer.
· Must be able to maintain fast pace while completing complex work, in potentially stressful situations, with competing priorities, within tight timelines and with frequent interruptions.
· Must be able to work additional hours when necessary.
Who VELCO is
VELCO sits at an inflection point of dynamic innovation in an industry undergoing transformation. Our core responsibility to operate a safe and reliable electric transmission system for Vermonters has not changed. How we fulfil that responsibility, however, changes regularly with the evolution of the system we operate and the dynamic demands of the customers we serve. These conditions require that VELCO remain unshakably focused on operational excellence today while anticipating the capabilities we will need to thrive tomorrow. Likewise, the successful Compute and Storage Systems Engineer will have the capabilities to meet today’s responsibilities while having the foresight and learning orientation to anticipate VELCO’s needs well into the future.
The Compute and Storage Systems Engineer at VELCO is a trusted partner excited to help us realize our Vision to create a sustainable Vermont through our people, assets, relationships and operating model. The Compute and Storage Systems Engineer is someone innately committed to fulfilling our Mission to serve as a Trusted Partner by passionately living our TRUST values (Treating each other with respect; Responding with urgency; Unconditionally supporting one another; Sharing information; and Thinking outside the box).