Substation Civil Engineering Internship
ENGINEERING INTERNSHIP PROGRAM – Substation Civil Design Engineering
Eversource Energy (NYSE:ES), a Fortune 500 and Standard & Poor’s 500 energy company based in Connecticut, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire, operates New England’s largest energy delivery system. Eversource is committed to safety, reliability, environmental leadership, and stewardship, and expanding energy options for its approximately 4 million electric and natural gas customers. We are a company dedicated to our customers, communities, and employees.
Eversource is a leader in enabling a clean energy future for New England. We are making significant investments in our electric transmission and distribution system to support the integration of clean energy resources such as solar & wind power, electric vehicles, and energy storage technologies.
We know that our success depends on the best efforts of our engaged team- diverse, talented, and dedicated individuals who take pride in their work, know and exhibit the value of teamwork and collaboration, and support each other in working safely every day.
Check out this video and find out why our team loves to work here!
We are looking for talented individuals to help us continue enhancing New England’s largest energy delivery system and enabling a Clean Energy Future! Could this be you?
Engineering Internships – Substation Civil Design Engineering
The Eversource Engineering Internship Program is designed to deliver students with the opportunity to apply both classroom and prior experience learning to real life application. The program is 3-months in duration and provides everyone an opportunity to gain experience working in assigned engineering areas.
Collaborate with and support senior engineering staff in performing various engineering studies and tasks related to Eversource Energy transmission and distribution substation design. Assignments will be focused on one or more technical areas depending upon the company’s needs and the interests and capabilities of the student. Focal areas include: High Voltage Electric substation design, Project Material analysis, As-built reporting, and minor electrical calculations and/or studies for the project design. Students can expect a challenging experience in an energetic and supportive environment where, in addition to working with experienced engineers, they will work closely with other co-op students.
Scope of Work/Project (may include):
- Work directly with a design engineer on project design packages.
- Development of below grade raceway and structure layout plans
- Drawing Review
- Material take off’s
- Ordering materials in the procurement software
- Assist in AS-built tracking and completion
- Assist engineer with foundation design, structural analysis and rigid bus calculations as necessary to support project needs.
- Attend site visits and on-site project meetings at Electrical Substations
As an intern, you will assist department engineers and lead engineers with routine and special projects involving the Substation Civil Design Engineering group: These projects will include completing activities and assignments associated with improving the safe and reliable design and operation of the electrical transmission and distribution system. You will learn basic utility engineering concepts applicable to the group you are placed in and will also learn the principles of good customer service and electric reliability.
Education, Qualifications and Experience
- Interest in energy delivery networks and/or renewable energy
- Adept in usage of MS Office suite
- Enrolled in a B.S.C.E., M.S.C.E, or other energy related degree program
- Good communication, organizational, and problem solving skills
- Ability to work independently and contribute ideas and solutions
- Able to learn quickly and work enthusiastically in a fast-paced environment