Senior Staff Engineer, Power Systems & SCADA SME
The Senior Staff Engineer- Power Systems & SCADA Subject Matter Expert (SME) is responsible for providing external clients and internal applications, operations, and commercial teams with detailed design and implementation recommendations based on project requirements. This role serves as an internal consultant and domain expert with highly specialized knowledge in power systems engineering and industrial SCADA systems that are commonly utilized within commercial and industrial (C&I)-scale microgrid applications.
- Provide expert consultative advice on power systems and industrial SCADA systems commonly found at the C&I scale to clients, project partners, and internal team members.
- Perform detailed power systems analysis and reporting on topics including (but not limited to) the following steady-state and dynamic studies: power flow, protection and coordination, harmonics, transient stability, short circuit, arc flash, ground fault, and other similar studies.
- Prepare complete, clear, and concise reports and/or presentations for Heila’s clients, project partners, and team members.
- Serve a technical domain expert for Heila’s Applications, Project Delivery, Operations, and Engineering teams.
- Provide guidance on the design and configuration of power systems with distributed energy resources such as solar photovoltaic, battery energy storage, combined heat and power, backup generation, fuel cell, and/or electric vehicle charging systems.
- Provide detailed guidance on communication protocols commonly utilized within both commercial/industrial SCADA systems and for the control of DERs – and their integration with the Heila control system.
- Foster positive and effective internal and external relationships at all levels and project phases.
- A minimum of 10 years (professional, academic, or combination) of power systems design and simulation experience at the schematic design, commissioning, and operational phases of project life cycles.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience working with industrial SCADA systems – preferably relating to the communication and control of DERs.
- Experience creating, reading, and interpreting electrical and communications schematic drawings, one-line diagrams, project specification, utility/AHJ requirements, etc.
- Experience in detailed power flow and transient simulation analysis and reporting tools - examples include ETAP, or equivalent.
- Expertise in at least one industrial communication protocol (IEC 61850, IEEE 2030.5, Sunspec Mobus, etc.)
- Experience with hardware-in-the-loop (HIL) testing methods for microgrid control systems.
- An understanding of information security requirements for microgrids in secure environments.
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of mechanical and electrical engineering concepts applied to commercial and industrial facilities.
- Experience designing and analyzing the effects of power systems that are interconnected into multi-facility medium voltage distribution systems, high voltage utility systems, and other similar networks.
- Familiarity with the distributed generation interconnection requirements for at least one utility/distribution network/TSO.
- Experience integrating microgrid control systems with utility SCADA systems.
- Ability to debug and solve problems in unfamiliar environments in a self-directed manner.
- Graduate degree(s) in EE, ME, CE, CS or equivalent is preferred.
- Ability to travel as needed.
We will consider applicants requiring sponsorship for this opportunity.