Internship - Production Geoscience
Calpine Corporation is America's largest generator of electricity from natural gas and geothermal resources with operations in competitive power markets. Its fleet of 76 power plants in operation and one under construction represents nearly 26,000 megawatts of generation capacity. Through wholesale power operations and its retail businesses, Calpine serves customers in 22 states, Canada and Mexico. Its clean, efficient, modern and flexible fleet uses advanced technologies to generate power in a low-carbon and environmentally responsible manner.
The company was established on the premise that a strong commitment to the environment is inextricably linked to excellence in power generation and corporate responsibility. Since its founding in 1984, Calpine has led the power industry in its unwavering commitment to environmental stewardship. In addition, its renewable geothermal plants use steam generated deep below the earth's surface to produce clean, renewable electricity.
Job Summary (includes but is not limited to the following, other duties may be assigned)
This supervised position will allow for a geoscience or engineering student who is interested in a career in the power industry to apply and enhance their knowledge with regard to all aspects power plant engineering and operation. This position will require the individual to work a normal day shift. Limited overtime work (nights and weekends) may be required. This job will be based at the Geysers power plant located at 10350 Socrates Mine Road, Middletown, CA 95461.
The Production Geoscience Intern will assist the Resource team with ongoing reservoir production management strategies, including monitoring, evaluating and operation of the steam field at The Geysers Power Plant.
The Production Geoscience Intern will gain hands-on experience in ongoing engineering projects including:
- Production and Injection well monitoring.
- Resource data management and analysis.
- 3D Geologic Model Visualization and Evaluation
- Downhole geothermal well assessments and strategies.
The remainder of intern time will be utilized in assisting Tech Services personnel, including the Wireline department, in other tasks.
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the essential functions of the job and are not to be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
- Junior or Senior pursuing bachelor's degree in Geoscience, Petroleum Engineering or Reservoir Engineering. The ideal candidate would be working on an advanced degree with a specialization in geothermal or oil and gas technologies, with demonstrated experience in the use of map making and database software.
- Candidate should be familiar with Microsoft Office Tools software (Word, Excel, Outlook), and ideally will be familiar with Excel programming in VBA and Access programming in SQL.
- The candidate should have the ability to work in a team and have good writing and communication skills.
- Intern must hold a valid driver’s license, and have the ability to drive mountainous, winding, narrow roads.
- Work environment includes an office setting as well as outdoors in an industrial/power plant and steam field setting.
- GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Legally eligible to work in the United States now and in the future.
- Good problem solving and analytical ability.
- Strong computer skills especially in the use of spreadsheet and word processing programs.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Good organization skills and attention to details are essential
- Must be flexible and able to work harmoniously with others in a dynamic environment.
- Must be able to self-start and manage multiple simultaneous tasks and priorities.
- Must have reliable transportation to and from work.
Additional Calpine Information:
Vaccination Information: Calpine requires an individual who is newly hired into this position to be vaccinated for COVID-19 within the first 28 days of employment - if not already vaccinated prior to starting employment. If you have any concerns regarding compliance with this requirement, you will need to discuss your concerns with Calpine’s HR department after a decision has been made about whether or not to make you a conditional offer of employment. Calpine does not require applicants to discuss vaccination status prior to receipt of a conditional offer of employment and complies with all applicable laws requiring reasonable accommodation.
Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.
Calpine is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please send an e-mail with your request to email@example.com. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are made on case-by-case basis.
Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP here