GLP Sample Processing Technician
Responsible for providing assistance, preserving, preparing, processing and maintenance of lab samples, which involve knowledge on fundamental lab support policies, programs and practices while completing appropriate forms, documents and databases. May include various forms of samples, such as environmental, biological, chemical, and related areas.
This class specification lists the major duties and requirements of the job and is not all-inclusive. Incumbent(s) may be expected to perform job-related duties other than those contained in this document and may be required to have specific job-related knowledge and skills.
- Prepares lab for daily operations, including stocking materials, equipment, safety, cleanliness, and related areas.
- Supports analytical testing process using standard lab support knowledge in the collection and review of conditions, including preserving samples, completing sample preparation, documenting and communicating results.
- Picks up, transports, and maintains results, samples, documents, materials and other items as needed.
- Disposes of laboratory materials and samples using well established guidelines and instructions.
- Reviews, completes and processes standard degrees of logs, documents, databases, and related materials and information.
- Provides fundamental support in the application and assistance to staff and management regarding lab support policies, programs and practices.
- Provides support researching issues and developing recommendations to resolve process, department and related customer issues.
- Assists in the review and implementation of lab support policies, practices and programs to meet organizational, operations and management needs.
- Assists with ensuring compliance with applicable laws, rules and regulations; receives guidance and direction or escalates when required.
- Contributes to the efficiency and effectiveness of the department's service to its customers by offering suggestions and directing or participating as an active member of a work team.
- Promotes and supports the overall mission of Pace Analytical by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with customers and staff; acts in a manner that promotes a harmonious and effective workplace environment.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education and Experience:
High school diploma or equivalent; experience in related work is preferred; OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience. One year of experience in a lab or environmental setting is preferred.
Required Certificates, Licenses, and Registrations:
Continued employment is contingent upon all required licenses and certificates being maintained in active status without suspension or revocation.
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Fundamental principles, practices and techniques of lab support.
- Customer service principles and practices.
- Understanding of the daily administration of lab support programs, policies and procedures.
- Fundamental methods to resolve lab support or technical problems, questions and concerns.
- Ability to learn standard applicable organizational policies and procedures on sample maintenance.
- Computer applications and systems related to the work.
- Principles and practices to serving as an effective project team member.
- Methods to communicate with staff, coworkers, and customers to ensure safe, effective and appropriate operations.
- Correct business English, including spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Performing fundamental lab support duties in assigned areas.
- Providing standard support within varied lab testing.
- Providing customer service.
- Serving as a team member working with customers and projects.
- Operating in a both a team and individual contributor environment.
- Interpreting, applying and explaining organizational policies and procedures.
- Maintaining databases, forms, documents and related informati0n.
- Using initiative and judgment within established department policies and procedures.
- Using tact, discretion and prudence in working with those contacted in the course of the work.
- Performing effective oral presentations to groups and peers and the department.
- Contributing effectively to the accomplishment of team or work unit goals, objectives and activities.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with a variety of individuals contacted in the course of the work.
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Mobility to work in a lab and office setting, use standard office and lab equipment and stamina to sit for extended periods of time; exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently to lift, carry, push, pull or move objects; vision to read printed materials and computer screens; and hearing and speech to communicate in person or over the telephone.
Work is performed in lab and office settings. Work is subject to exposure to blood or bodily fluids, chemicals, fumes, gasses, noxious odors and related items in a lab and environmental setting.
This role is working first shift day hours Monday through Friday. This role may require coming in early, staying late, or occasional weekend work.