Internship Internal Audit
Calpine Corporation is America's largest generator of electricity from natural gas and geothermal resources with operations in competitive power markets. Its fleet of 76 power plants in operation and one under construction represents nearly 26,000 megawatts of generation capacity. Through wholesale power operations and its retail businesses, Calpine serves customers in 22 states, Canada and Mexico. Its clean, efficient, modern and flexible fleet uses advanced technologies to generate power in a low-carbon and environmentally responsible manner.
The company was established on the premise that a strong commitment to the environment is inextricably linked to excellence in power generation and corporate responsibility. Since its founding in 1984, Calpine has led the power industry in its unwavering commitment to environmental stewardship. In addition, its renewable geothermal plants use steam generated deep below the earth's surface to produce clean, renewable electricity.
Job Summary (includes but is not limited to the following, other duties may be assigned)
Internal Audit provides a tremendous opportunity for team members to understand how Calpine works both operationally and financially. The scope of our efforts spans across all aspects of Calpine’s business, from governance and financial management through business operations and customer interaction. Internal Auditors can expect to participate on projects that cover a wide range of topics, in areas significant to the Company objectives, while interacting with all levels of management. We work closely with the business owners using our expertise to support Calpine in matters related to governance, risk management, and controls. This job will be based out of the Calpine Corporation Corporate Office (Houston, Texas). This position may require office or work from home hours.
- Meet with audit personnel to understand processes, related risks and whether adequate internal controls are in place;
- Execute detailed audit procedures, including reviewing transactions, documents, records, reports, policies and procedures for accuracy and effectiveness;
- Prepare work papers which record and summarize audit procedures performed in accordance with standards;
- Assist in creating reports and presentations to various levels of management including the Board of Directors; and
- Duties could pertain to compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley Section 404 or other varied internal control requirements pertaining to company operations, government regulations, anti-fraud activities, IT controls, or administrative support to experienced auditors.
- This position requires completion of at least the Junior year of coursework for a Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, Management of Information System, Computer Science or Engineering with a Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 3.0 at an accredited college or university;
- Legally eligible to work in the United States now and in the future for any company.
- No work experience is required, but experience in bookkeeping, customer service, information systems or data analytics is beneficial;
- Priority will be given to candidates who have completed an audit class, data analytics or programming languages; and
- Preferred: currently enrolled in an Internal Audit program endorsed by the IIA.
- Required Skills & Knowledge:
- Proficient in Microsoft Windows, Word and Excel;
- Excellent verbal and written skills;
- Must be able to follow instructions precisely and be detail-oriented;
- Good problem solving and analytical ability
- Ability to work 40 hours per week;
- Self-motivated team player;
- Ability to travel with notice; and
- Reliable in meeting commitments, prompt in attending meetings and making deadlines.
Additional Calpine Information
Vaccination Information: Calpine requires an individual who is newly hired into this position to be vaccinated for COVID-19 within the first 28 days of employment - if not already vaccinated prior to starting employment. If you have any concerns regarding compliance with this requirement, you will need to discuss your concerns with Calpine’s HR department after a decision has been made about whether or not to make you a conditional offer of employment. Calpine does not require applicants to discuss vaccination status prior to receipt of a conditional offer of employment and complies with all applicable laws requiring reasonable accommodation.
Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.
Calpine is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please send an e-mail with your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are made on case-by-case basis.
Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP here
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)