Internship Power Trader
Calpine Corporation is America's largest generator of electricity from natural gas and geothermal resources with operations in competitive power markets. Its fleet of 76 power plants in operation and one under construction represents nearly 26,000 megawatts of generation capacity. Through wholesale power operations and its retail businesses, Calpine serves customers in 22 states, Canada and Mexico. Its clean, efficient, modern and flexible fleet uses advanced technologies to generate power in a low-carbon and environmentally responsible manner.
The company was established on the premise that a strong commitment to the environment is inextricably linked to excellence in power generation and corporate responsibility. Since its founding in 1984, Calpine has led the power industry in its unwavering commitment to environmental stewardship. In addition, its renewable geothermal plants use steam generated deep below the earth's surface to produce clean, renewable electricity.
Job Summary (includes but is not limited to the following, other duties may be assigned)
Will assist with developing and maintaining statistical and fundamental models to identify trading opportunities that can be applied on the power, gas and environmental trading desk in the West Region. Will assist with monitoring variables that influence pricing, availability, and reliability of power resources. Will assist with monitoring and analyzing portfolio performance to identify trading, optimization of existing contracts, and other commercial opportunities.
Will assist with analyzing the current market and competitive conditions. Will assist with analyzing and evaluating complex energy transactions to ensure that all relevant aspects of the transaction including price, transmission, delivery point, product, counterparty, and other contractual terms are favorable to the portfolio and consistent with company guidelines for risk management.
- Assists portfolio managers in solving operational problems and associated technical issues; modifies existing tools, techniques, and processes.
- Will develop, update, and maintain analytical tools used by traders
- Will gain knowledge of power and capacity markets with an emphasis on the California Independent System Operator.
- Will gain an understanding of the regulatory dynamics for power.
- Will gain strong presentation skills; able to present complex subject matter in a clear, logical, and convincing way.
- Will gain project management skills; able to work across multiple disciplines to achieve optimal results.
- Candidate should be working on a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a quantitative or analytical field, such as business, mathematics, statistics, economics, finance, accounting, engineering, or similar at an accredited college or university.
- Candidate skill set and qualifications should cover the following topics:
- Must have at least 60 hours of undergraduate coursework completed by the start of the internship.
- Minimum GPA 3.3
- Legally eligible to work in the United States now and in the future for any company
- Demonstrated aptitude applying Microsoft Excel as an analytical tool; knowledge of other programing tools is a plus
- Able to work autonomously
- Demonstrated understanding Microsoft Office products (Excel, PowerPoint, and Word)
- Knowledge of the energy industry, specifically the independent power or utility sector, is a plus
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are a must
- Team player who enjoys diving into issues, brainstorming solutions, and learning new methods and tools to address problems
- High degree of enthusiasm and drive
Additional Calpine Information
Vaccination Information: Calpine requires an individual who is newly hired into this position to be vaccinated for COVID-19 within the first 28 days of employment - if not already vaccinated prior to starting employment. If you have any concerns regarding compliance with this requirement, you will need to discuss your concerns with Calpine’s HR department after a decision has been made about whether or not to make you a conditional offer of employment. Calpine does not require applicants to discuss vaccination status prior to receipt of a conditional offer of employment and complies with all applicable laws requiring reasonable accommodation.
Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.
Calpine is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please send an e-mail with your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are made on case-by-case basis.
Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP here
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)