Internship Enviromental Health and Safety
Calpine Corporation is America's largest generator of electricity from natural gas and geothermal resources with operations in competitive power markets. Its fleet of 76 power plants in operation and one under construction represents nearly 26,000 megawatts of generation capacity. Through wholesale power operations and its retail businesses, Calpine serves customers in 22 states, Canada and Mexico. Its clean, efficient, modern and flexible fleet uses advanced technologies to generate power in a low-carbon and environmentally responsible manner.
The company was established on the premise that a strong commitment to the environment is inextricably linked to excellence in power generation and corporate responsibility. Since its founding in 1984, Calpine has led the power industry in its unwavering commitment to environmental stewardship. In addition, its renewable geothermal plants use steam generated deep below the earth's surface to produce clean, renewable electricity.
Job Summary (includes but is not limited to the following, other duties may be assigned)
Safety (EHS) field to apply their knowledge with regard to regulatory compliance and risk assessment and reporting. This position will require the individual to work a normal office schedule and may include some travel within the United States. This job will be based out of the Geysers Administration Center located in Middletown, CA and will be responsible for the following
- Support Calpine plants by assisting in EHS report generation, collection of facility compliance data, testing activities,
- Conduct basic EHS site walks at Calpine plants,
- Support regional EHS audit programs, and
- Conduct other activities, as needed.
- The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the essential functions of the job and are not to be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
- Candidate must have a minimum of 30 credit hours and working toward a degree in Engineering, Environmental Science, Occupational Safety, Industrial Hygiene, or other Science major discipline at an accredited college or university.
- Candidate should have general knowledge of EHS laws and regulations preferably associated with power generation facilities. The candidate should have the demonstrated ability to be a self-starter and work independently and in a team environment.
- Minimum GPA 3.0
- Legally eligible to work in the United States now and in the future for any company
- Good organization skills and attention to details are essential
- Candidate should have proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite programs, strong problem solving skills, and a mechanical, math, and science (Biology, Physics, and/or Chemistry) aptitude. Intern must hold a valid driver’s license.
Additional Calpine Information
Vaccination Information: Calpine requires an individual who is newly hired into this position to be vaccinated for COVID-19 within the first 28 days of employment - if not already vaccinated prior to starting employment. If you have any concerns regarding compliance with this requirement, you will need to discuss your concerns with Calpine’s HR department after a decision has been made about whether or not to make you a conditional offer of employment. Calpine does not require applicants to discuss vaccination status prior to receipt of a conditional offer of employment and complies with all applicable laws requiring reasonable accommodation.
Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.
Calpine is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please send an e-mail with your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are made on case-by-case basis.
Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP here
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)