Sr. Intern/Co-op, Operations Engineering
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
Who we are
Beam Technologies is at the core of what we do! We are responsible for the electron and ion beam microscope production engineering. We make the electron and ion microscopes as well as the source emitters for all Thermo Fisher products. We are the experts in high vacuum micron level manufacturing. No two days are the same as we support a variety of products and technologies. Join our team and learn all that we offer.
Location: On site - Hillsboro, OR
Co-op Jan 2023-Dec 2023
What will you do?
- Assist operations engineers on both improvement and new product projects as they transition from concept through release. You will work with engineering to complete projects, DOE studies, statistical analysis and many other exciting tasks relative to what we do.
- Assists in the training of Manufacturing personnel in new product build, existing product improvements, testing, install and repair procedures. May develop technical procedures under the guidance of senior engineering personnel.
- May provide guidance or implement engineering changes to support factory and service as needed to achieve yield and cost goals.
- Conduct detailed analysis of system or component level problems that affect reliability, performance, etc. This includes the use of statistical analysis such as JMP, practical process improvement (PPI),or other established methods.
- Support the supply chain with engineering expertise. This includes the analysis of parts for reliability, manufacturability, vendor qualification support and supplier technical quality issues.
How will you get here?
- Enrolled as a Master's student working toward a degree in a technical field/ Engineering or Science (chemistry, physics) degrees. Bachelor's degree required.
- Willingness to work in high-tech industry manufacturing environment.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and resolve issues that involve gaining cooperation of multi-functional, multi-cultural groups and sites.
- Must have a professional working proficiency in written and spoken English.
- Must demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience with process improvements and methods. Experience with use of statistical process control and statistical problem solving methods.
- Proven ability to provide clear and concise analysis of data and experimental methods that may involve multiple factors.
- Exhibit written and verbal communication skills in peer to peer interaction as well as in networking with senior internal and external personnel in own expertise area.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 100,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.