Sr. Intern (Co-op)
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals. Our staff members are committed to making a difference in our organization, for our client partners and the patients we serve. We seek individuals with proven competencies and strong character to help lead our organization now and into the future.
Charged particle optics related to electron and ion focusing systems are at the heart of Thermo Fisher’s Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM), Focused Ion Beam (FIB), and Dual Beam Microscopes serving the Nanotechnology market. Thermo Fisher Scientific seeks an intern to assist in the development of the next generation FIB columns. This position offers a great opportunity to develop computational and experimental skills that are essential to so many industries.
- Support focused ion beam columns development. Activities will include one or more of the following tasks as defined by scientists and engineers:
- Perform simulations of charged particles optics systems for focused ion columns
- Develop and perform experiments to help characterize focused ion beams performance
- Implement data driven methods for performance optimization
- Maintain, troubleshoot, and repair laboratory equipment as needed
- Analyze electromagnetic fields, high voltage design, magnetic shielding, mechanical design, vacuum systems, and material selection
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATION:
- Candidate must be enrolled in a Master's degree program in physics or similar disciplines
- Experience operating Thermo Fisher’s Dual Beam systems and microscopes is desired
- Advanced scientific computing for physics modeling experience is desired
- Proven laboratory experience and hands-on skills
- Applicants must have unrestricted US work authorization. Forms of CPT and OPT are forms of restricted work authorization.
Location: Hillsboro OR from 1/2/2023- 12/2023
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 100,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.