Data Scientist (6128)
Exponent is a leading engineering and scientific consulting firm that brings together more than 90 different disciplines to solve the most pressing and complicated challenges facing stakeholders today. Our vision is to engage the brightest scientists and engineers to empower clients with solutions for a safe, healthy, sustainable and technologically complex world. We leverage over 50 years of experience in analyzing accidents and failures to advise clients as they innovate their technologically complex products and processes, ensure the safety and health of their users, and address the challenges of sustainability.
We offer opportunities for you to expand your engineering or scientific knowledge amidst experts with degrees from top programs at over 500 universities. At Exponent, you will apply your experience, technical skills, and prior academic research to a fulfilling career in consulting. You will have the opportunity to develop continuously through formal and informal development programs, coaching and mentoring, and involvement in a wide array of projects. We are excited about your interest in joining our growing team!
- 1100+ Team members
- 900+ Consultants
- 550+ Ph.D.s
- 30+ Offices globally
We are currently seeking a Data Scientist for our Data Sciences Practice in Irvine, CA. In this role, you will partner with scientific and engineering experts to rapidly implement data solutions in the life sciences, health data science, consumer electronics, and utilities industries. Your solutions and models will generate real-world, tangible, and immediate business and public health impact along the entire data science lifecycle.
You will be responsible for:
- Providing expertise to multi-disciplinary engineering teams in foundational data science domains, including data management, programming, statistics, and data storytelling
- Exploring, transforming, analyzing, and visualizing large datasets in various formats, including tables, text, images, documents, medical records, and time-series
- Collaborating with Exponent IT and client-side technical contacts for developing on-premises, hybrid, and cloud-based transfer, storage, compute, database, and reporting pipelines
- Working in office, laboratory, and field settings for data collection and analysis activities
- Identifying and suggesting solutions to possible problematic data and analyses, making corrections, determining root causes for data problems, and preserving lessons learned
- Becoming a thought-leader through a commitment to ongoing professional development of technical skills, staying up to date with the state-of-the-art in data science techniques
- Empowering practice leadership to effectively market data science capabilities, internalizing and educating fellow consultants on capabilities and advances in the field
- Handling multiple projects in a fast-paced environment, being responsive to client needs and demonstrating a willingness to go the extra mile to meet timelines and performance expectations
You will have the following skills and qualifications:
- Ph.D. in Data Science, Physics, Applied Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, or a related engineering/scientific field OR M.S. plus 3+ years’ experience in Data Science, Physics, Applied Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, or a related engineering/scientific field such as Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computational Chemistry, Bioinformatics, or Computational Biology
- Required to have demonstrated expertise in one or more functional or technical domains while developing expertise in other domains:
- Data Engineering
- Cloud Architecting
- Database Administration
- Data Analysis and Visualization
- Electronic Health and Medical Records Analysis
- Geospatial Data Analysis
- Business Analytics
- Machine Learning & Deep Learning
- Natural Language Processing
- Computer Vision
- Software Development
- Required to have proficiency with Python, including common data science libraries
- Required to have proficiency with SQL, including query design on large, complex datasets
- Preferred to have experience with the capture of data, such as data acquisition in a laboratory, web scraping, data entry, or sensor streaming
- Preferred to have strong practical engineering ability and understanding of physical systems
- Required to have experience maintaining, processing, and analyzing large structured and/or unstructured datasets
- Preferred to have experience working on cloud platforms or other distributed computing systems
- Preferred to have experience understanding and reviewing the work of colleagues to verify the findings are grounded in strong scientific principles
- Required to be a strong storyteller with excellent verbal, written, and visual communication skills
- Above all, a willingness to learn and embrace new technologies and ideas in domains beyond your area of expertise, working with a diverse set of clients and government agencies
To learn more about life at Exponent and our impact, please visit the following links.
We value and encourage diversity, equity and inclusion across all facets of our firm. Having a team built of people with different backgrounds, skills and perspectives allows us to provide better value to our clients and enjoy an enriched work environment.
Our firm is committed to offering a variety of programs and resources to support health and well-being. We believe that providing competitive benefits as well as compensation and recognition programs empowers our staff to do work that makes a difference.
Exponent is a proud equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected status.
If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may email us at HR-Accommodations@exponent.com.