Materials Engineer/Scientist (6149)
Exponent is a leading engineering and scientific consulting firm that brings together more than 90 different disciplines to solve the most pressing and complicated challenges facing stakeholders today. Our vision is to engage the brightest scientists and engineers to empower clients with solutions for a safe, healthy, sustainable and technologically complex world. We leverage over 50 years of experience in analyzing accidents and failures to advise clients as they innovate their technologically complex products and processes, ensure the safety and health of their users, and address the challenges of sustainability.
We offer opportunities for you to expand your engineering or scientific knowledge amidst experts from top programs at over 500 universities. At Exponent, you will apply your experience, technical skills, and prior academic research to a fulfilling career in consulting. You will have the opportunity to develop continuously through formal and informal development programs, coaching and mentoring, and involvement in a wide array of projects. We are excited about your interest in joining our growing team!
- 1100+ Team members
- 900+ Consultants
- 550+ Ph.D.s
- 30+ Offices globally
We are currently seeking a Materials Engineer/Scientist for our Materials & Corrosion Engineering Practice in Menlo Park, CA. In this role, you will work as part of a team conducting engineering and scientific analyses to assist Exponent’s clients across multiple industries, particularly including consumer electronics. Projects can range from analysis of prototype-phase materials evaluation to supply chain issues to field returns, and from device-level behavior to fundamental materials properties. With the support of all of Exponent’s diverse expertise in polymers, materials chemistry, electrical engineering, and mechanical engineering, to name a few, we touch on nearly every aspect of our clients’ products.
You will be responsible for:
- Materials characterization and failure analysis
- Engineering and scientific analysis
- Laboratory testing and field inspections
- Communicating findings to clients with verbal, written, and/or presentation-style reports
You will have the following skills and qualifications:
- Ph.D. in Materials Science and Engineering or related field and familiarity with mechanical properties
- Demonstrated ability to adapt knowledge to new contexts and work outside of core areas of expertise
- Ability to work within project teams with a strong desire to contribute proactively to solve difficult problems
- Specialized knowledge in one of the following areas: thin film deposition techniques, materials design for multi-functional devices, thin film characterization tools, or mechanical properties of thin film materials including adhesion, fracture, and residual stresses
- Knowledge of materials characterization techniques (e.g., SEM, FIB, TEM, EDS, XPS, SIMS, FTIR, acoustic microscopy, X-ray, or interferometry)
- Broad knowledge of many techniques and deep knowledge in a few is valued
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
To learn more about life at Exponent and our impact, please visit the following links:
We value and encourage diversity, equity and inclusion across all facets of our firm. Having a team built of people with different backgrounds, skills and perspectives allows us to provide better value to our clients and enjoy an enriched work environment.
Our firm is committed to offering a variety of programs and resources to support health and well-being. We believe that providing competitive benefits as well as compensation and recognition programs empowers our staff to do work that makes a difference.
Exponent is a proud equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected status.
If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may email us at HR-Accommodations@exponent.com.