Ready to take on some of the most powerful forces in our society? We’re looking for an Accounting Associate to join a fierce, smart team challenging global corporations, holding them accountable, and creating a world where all people can thrive.
Why you’ll love coming to work every day
You’ll help change the world by being part of fearless and winning campaigns. You’ll be joining an organization that’s not satisfied with the world as it is—and has a vision for how it should be. When your quest is ending corporate abuse, you can’t be afraid to name names and demand what the world needs. For more than 40 years, we’ve been exposing and challenging the abuses of the likes of Nestlé, ExxonMobil, Philip Morris International, McDonald’s, and more. We don’t back down, and we run campaigns until we win.
You’ll work with awesome people. Join a team of passionate, kind, determined, optimistic, and solutions-oriented folks. We work hard, celebrate victories large and small, and always have each other’s backs.
You can take on big responsibilities as you go. You’ll thrive here as you develop new skills, tackle new challenges, learn, and grow. We pay lots of attention to building staff leadership, and we provide support and training to help you grow in your role.
You’ll be part of an organization committed to advancing racial equity and transforming systems of oppression. We are deeply committed to prioritizing the leadership of people who bear the brunt of corporate abuse: Black and Indigenous people and other people of color, women, low-income people, people in the Global South, and LGBTQIA+ folks around the world. Our unique culture has been fostered by a long history of women at the helm. We are actively focusing on the leadership of our staff of color, knowing we are stronger when the organization reflects the vision of the world we’re building together.
What you’ll do
Corporate Accountability wages powerful campaigns challenging corporate abuse—and behind every campaign victory you’ll find a dynamic operations team that provides the back-end and behind-the-scenes support. Ensuring effective, efficient, and secure finances and administering our generous benefits package are key tactics to support our organizers to wage hard-hitting tactics that are stopping transnational corporations from devastating democracy, trampling human rights, and destroying our planet.
From supporting the preparation of our annual external audit to reconciling bank accounts to maintaining our general ledger and preparing reports & tools for the organization's budget and benefits management, you’ll be the go-to administrator who plays an essential part in enabling our team to make an impact.
This position provides ample room to grow and develop your skills. Whether you’re looking to develop skills in accounting, administration, or database management, you will have plenty of opportunities to build new skills and follow your passion as you advance our mission.
As you coordinate with our operations team, you’ll take on new projects and leadership—making an ever greater impact toward building the equitable world we envision.
Who you are
- The rampant abuses of corporations and the outrageous amount of power they have make you mad as hell—and you want to do something about it.
- You have a commitment to advancing racial equity and transforming systems of oppression, and are ready to do this in your day-to-day work. You understand that campaigning for justice must include working to dismantle white supremacy, institutional racism, colonialism, and anti-Blackness.
- You have experience maintaining systems and managing projects from start to finish. You can meet deadlines and collaborate with colleagues to move a project along. When something doesn’t go as planned, you’re ready to adapt and adjust to get back on track.
- You are all about the details. Whether it’s making nuanced spreadsheets for your family vacation, spotting typos in just about anything you read, or the efficient filing system you developed at your last job, you are thorough, accurate, and organized. Managing data and keeping track of every last detail brings you great satisfaction—maybe even joy.
- You have experience keeping information secure and confidential. You know with whom and how to discuss sensitive matters, and you know how to get clarity if you’re not sure. Basically, you’re the person your friends confide in, because they know their business won’t be on the socials tomorrow.
- You are a numbers person—you know how to distill complex financial principles into a simple report—and you can tweak that information for different audiences in different contexts.
- You have experience with Microsoft Excel and either Intuit QuickBooks or Salesforce CRM.
- You have at least 1-2 years of experience in a non-profit with a background in accounting or finance. Bonus: You are fluent in Spanish.
What you’ll be responsible for in the day-to-day
- Prepare and monitor budgets, financial statements, and forecasting reports using QuickBooks.
- Oversee and administer Accounts Payable & Receivable processes including research and resolution on any accounts payable issues through direct vendor contact and correspondence as well as ownership of weekly donation processing.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements and schedules of accounts.
- Prepare quarterly and annual audits.
- Maintain a variety of financial information, files and records for the organization for the purpose of ensuring availability of documentation and compliance with established Internal Revenue Service rules and guidelines.
- Ensure our organization’s compliance with tax payments and information reporting.
- Prepare financial disclosure information for the organization’s annual reports.
- Assist with benefits administration which includes processing of monthly billing, allocating monthly claims for health, dental, and other benefits accounts and supporting with the organization-wide annual open enrollment process.
- Ensure timely communication with and reporting to charity ratings organizations.
Salary and benefits
- Salary range: $49,100-$50,300 commensurate with experience.
- Hours: Corporate Accountability’s full-time staff generally work 32 hours per week, with periods of more intensive work that correspond with the ebb and flow nature of campaigns or projects throughout the year. Our core hours are 10 am - 4 pm on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, with flexibility to determine your remaining hours of the week in coordination with your supervisor and team.
- Our comprehensive benefit package includes: health insurance (with 90% of the premium for all tiers covered by the organization); dental coverage (with 100% of the individual premium covered by the organization, option to add dependents at an additional cost); optional vision coverage (100% employee paid); voluntary life insurance; long-term disability insurance; FSA for transit, health care, and dependent care; and a 401(k) with employer match.
- Generous time off policies including one month of personal vacation time, one week of an office closure for collective rest, holidays, and unlimited wellness days to prioritize health.
- Both internal and external training and leadership development opportunities.
- Energetic, collaborative, and social campaign environment.
Campaign Headquarters are in downtown Boston, MA. We follow strict COVID-19 safety measures and prioritize the health and safety of all staff, especially those with roles that require coming into headquarters in-person, such as this one.
We are looking for great candidates from a wide range of backgrounds. If you don’t exactly fit the job description, but you know you have skills and experiences that are transferable to this position, please apply! Tell us about yourself and why you should be our next Accounting Associate.
To apply: Visit www.corporateaccountability.org/employment-opportunities. Attach your résumé to the online application and include a cover letter. Please include where you heard about the position. Given the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and our current capacity to process applications, we will be responding on a rolling basis and therefore might take between 2-4 weeks to respond to application.
Corporate Accountability stops transnational corporations from devastating democracy, perpetuating systemic racism, trampling human rights, and destroying our planet. We are building a world rooted in justice where corporations answer to people, not the other way around— a world where every person has access to clean water, healthy food, a safe place to live, and the opportunity to reach their full human potential.
Corporate Accountability is an equal opportunity employer and an inclusive organization. People of color, women, nonbinary people, and LGBTQ people are strongly encouraged to apply. Join more than 50 smart and driven staff and interns working in this dynamic organization with a powerful network of members and allies around the world.