Sr Intern (Co-op)
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work. And you’ll have the opportunity for continual growth and learning in a culture that empowers your development. With revenues of more than $30 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
- Charged particle optic electron and ion guns, focusing columns, and high-brightness sources are at the heart of FEE's Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM), Focused Ion Beam (FIB), and DualBeam tools serving the Nanotechnology market. FEI seeks an intern to assist in the initiation, design, development, execution, and implementation of a wide range of electron gun, ion column, and field emission source development projects.
Duties and responsibilities
- Activities will include one or more of the following tasks as determined by program needs, project priorities, intern capabilities and interests:
- Perform experiments as directed by scientists and engineers: Determine temperature from I/V characteristics; Develop new liquid metal ion source (LMIS) technology; Perform periodic thermal imaging pyrometry and monitor of ongoing experiments; Cold fieEd emitter (CFE) assembly (etch W tips, attach, SEM); High current ion source monitoring and characterization; Make noise measurements on Schottky emitters; Take energy spread measurements and/or brightness measurements
- Analyze and document experimental results: Analyze experimental data to determine temperature from I/V characteristics; Assist in the development of data acquisition and analysis software; Develop and test new laboratory and instrument control software; Develop and test new ion source monitoring software; Develop and characterize automated source control software; Maintain, troubleshoot, and repair laboratory equipment as necessary; Work with scientists and engineers to diagnose and repair equipment issues; Change pump oil as necessary
- Seeking Master’s degree in physics, chemistry, math, computer science or related fields. Must be enrolled in a Master's degree program.
- Proficient with using general laboratory equipment, proficient with standard office computer programs (Word, Excel, Power Point, etc.), working knowledge of fundamental experimental methods.
To qualify, applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States, and should not require, now or in the future, sponsorship for employment visa status. Applicants must have unrestricted US work authorization. Forms of CPT and OPT are forms of restricted work authorization.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 100,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Job Seekers with a Disability: Thermo Fisher Scientific offers accessibility service for job seekers requiring accommodations in the job application process. For example, this may include individuals requiring assistance because of hearing, vision, mobility, or cognitive impairments. If you are a job seeker with a disability, or assisting a person with a disability, and require accessibility assistance or an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please submit a request by telephone at 1-855-471-2255*. Please include your contact information and specific details about your required accommodation to support you during the job application process.
*This telephone line is reserved solely for job seekers with disabilities requiring accessibility assistance or an accommodation in the job application process. Messages left for other purposes, such as not being able to get into the career website, following up on an application, or other non-disability related technical issues will not receive a response.