Scientific Associate - Entry Level
Requisition Id 8842
We are seeking a Scientific Associate to support the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS) instruments in the Neutron Scattering User Program. This position resides in the SNS Science Support Group, SNS Beamline Operations Section, within the Neutron Scattering Division of the Neutron Sciences Directorate at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL).
The Science Support Group’s mission is to positively impact and add value to the organization through reliable, efficient, and ever-evolving services, facilitating the safe delivery of world-class neutron scattering science. The role of the Scientific Associate (SA) is to establish and maintain robust and reliable operations of neutron scattering instruments at a facility that operates 24/7 during periods of neutron production. SAs must be cognizant of operational parameters and equipment and provide front line operational support to the scientific programs conducted on those instruments. The SA will coordinate with beam line staff to develop and maintain beam line operations by optimizing operations procedures, protocols, documentation, and support a safety-minded and operations-oriented culture among instrument team members.
- Provide technical oversight and interaction with complex technical equipment and systems associated with neutron instruments for example: vacuum systems, neutron choppers, neutron detectors, sample environment equipment, and data acquisition and visualization systems.
- Coordination of user experiments including scheduling, training users in the operation of the instrument, and communicating all information and requirements necessary for a safe and successful experiment.
- Maintain and manage current inventory of all samples associated with experiments performed on the assigned instrument in accordance with policy. Some samples will be irradiated, and this work may be performed in radiological areas.
- Work with the sample environment group to schedule equipment required for individual experiments. Be fully trained on such equipment to provide normal operations support during an experiment. Request corrective maintenance as necessary and provide feedback on equipment performance.
- Coordinate the installation and integration of instrument upgrades needed to improve operations.
- Maintain accurate and relevant documentation of the instrument’s technical systems, including hardware configuration, practices, and processes.
- Maintains effective communications with all SNS stakeholders and users, including accelerator groups and instrument scientific staff to ensure responsive and high-quality instrument operations.
- A bachelor’s degree in a science or engineering discipline.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience in providing direct support for technically complex systems.
- A postgraduate degree in a science or engineering discipline.
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams of all levels, disciplines, and diverse technical, scientific, and cultural backgrounds across the laboratory.
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs.
About Neutron Sciences Directorate:
The Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) operates the High Flux Isotope Reactor (HFIR), the United States’ highest flux reactor-based neutron source, and the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS), the world’s most intense pulsed accelerator-based neutron source. Together these facilities operate 30 instruments for neutron scattering research, each year carrying out in excess of 1,000 experiments in the physical, chemical, materials, biological and medical sciences for more than 3,000 visiting scientists. HFIR also provides unique facilities for isotope production and neutron irradiation. To learn more about Neutron Sciences at ORNL go to http://neutrons.ornl.gov.
Letters of Recommendation: Candidates are encouraged to submit up to 2 references relating to their work and/or academic background.
Physical Requirements: Work involves various physical requirements and working conditions. As such, a pre-hire physical will be required after offer.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.