Sr Intern (Co-op)
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work. And you’ll have the opportunity for continual growth and learning in a culture that empowers your development. With revenues of more than $30 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
- Charged particle optic electron and ion guns, focusing columns, and high-brightness sources are at the heart of FEE's Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM), Focused Ion Beam (FIB), and DualBeam tools serving the Nanotechnology market. FEI seeks an intern to assist in the initiation, design, development, execution, and implementation of a wide range of electron gun, ion column, and field emission source development projects.
- Duties and responsibilities
- Activities will include one or more of the following tasks as determined by program needs, project priorities, intern capabilities and interests:
- Perform experiments as directed by scientists and engineers: Determine temperature from I/V characteristics; Develop new liquid metal ion source (LMIS) technology; Perform periodic thermal imaging pyrometry and monitor of ongoing experiments; Cold fieEd emitter (CFE) assembly (etch W tips, attach, SEM); High current ion source monitoring and characterization; Make noise measurements on Schottky emitters; Take energy spread measurements and/or brightness measurements
- Analyze and document experimental results: Analyze experimental data to determine temperature from I/V characteristics; Assist in the development of data acquisition and analysis software; Develop and test new laboratory and instrument control software; Develop and test new ion source monitoring software; Develop and characterize automated source control software; Maintain, troubleshoot, and repair laboratory equipment as necessary; Work with scientists and engineers to diagnose and repair equipment issues; Change pump oil as necessary
- Seeking Master's Degree in physics, chemistry, math, computer science or related fields.
- Proficient with using general laboratory equipment, proficient with standard office computer programs (Word, Excel, Power Point, etc.), working knowledge of fundamental experimental methods.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse and inclusive workforce.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 90,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell.
Join us and contribute to our mission — enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.