Metrology Engineering Co-op
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work. You’ll have the opportunity to grow and learn in a culture that empowers your development. We have built an inclusive, global environment that values the power of diverse talent, backgrounds, and experiences to drive speed, efficiency, innovation, and growth.
What You’ll Get to Do:
As a Metrology (Measurement) Engineering Co-op you will work in a new product development environment that develops a wide variety of plastic lab ware products from concept to launch.
Your ideas will help bring new products to life as you collaborate with other measurement specialists, process development engineers, quality engineers, and project leaders to develop plastic products for life science, medical device, laboratory, diagnostic and consumer product markets.
This is an exciting opportunity to work with a Co-op mentor in a new product development environment that will allow you to learn measurement science, statistics, applied physics, and engineering methods and grow your design engineering body of knowledge.
How You’ll Make a Difference:
- Partner with Great Coworkers: Participate on cross functional project teams to develop new measurement processes to support product teams and manufacturing processes. Present measurement system designs and demonstrate appropriate statistical method selection in support of technical reviews. Work with your Co-op mentor on specific engineering assignments.
- Measurement System Qualification: Conduct IQ, OQ for measurement equipment and test method validation for molded parts. Document results with detailed technical reports.
- Calibration & Verification: Develop and/or design support systems, processes, and procedures for calibrating measurement and test equipment or maintaining measurement methods.
- Coordinate Metrology Programming: Create automated inspection processes or plans with coordinate measuring metrology and associated software. Analyzing approaches to measuring customer product specifications and drawings utilizing GD&T standards.
- Develop Quality Standards: Help to create and implement quality standards and methodologies in support of regulatory or laboratory regulations, or to support accreditation activities.
- Currently enrolled in a Mechanical, Optical, Biomedical, Computer Science, or Plastics engineering Bachelors Degree or Engineering Technology program
- Experience with basic data analysis and statistics to analyze part measurement data (Minitab, JMP is preferred).
- Basic knowledge of mechanical tolerancing analysis methods as well as SI Units.
- Strong PC skills, proficiency with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) or Power Platform.
- Experience with solid modeling (Solidworks, ProE or Unigraphics is preferred).
- Willing to travel domestically approximately 10%
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Creative, innovative and critical thinking
- Analytical nature, responds positively to challenges and a problem solver
- Responsive, results oriented and task driven
- Self-directed, well-organized with ability to manage multiple assignments
- Excellent documentation, planning and organizational skills
- Professional conduct and ethics
Who We Are
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $17 billion and 100,000 employees in 50 countries. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support. Visit www.thermofisher.com.
What We Do
We serve science and medicine like no other. Our customers help patients and do research with a variety of products such as general lab ware, ionized water, bioproduction, high-end injectables, and ocular medicine with some of the largest drug manufacturers across the globe. For others, we provide a consumer product line of well known Nalgene® water bottles.
About Rochester: Ranked by MSN as the #1 Most Livable Bargain Markets in the US, Rochester is a great place for a new college graduate. With low housing costs and a vibrant downtown full of arts and culture, it’s an ideal place to gain world class career experience while you pay down your students loans and enjoy your post-college years.
Equal Employment Opportunity & Accessibility
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Thermo Fisher Scientific offers accessibility service for job seekers requiring accommodations in the job application process. For example, this may include individuals requiring assistance because of hearing, vision, mobility, or cognitive impairments. If you require accessibility assistance or an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please submit a request by telephone at 1-855-471-2255*. Please include your contact information and specific details about your required accommodation to support you during the job application process.
Thermo Fisher does not offer employment in this position to holders of F-1, J-1, H-1, OPT, and CPT Visas for the purpose of obtaining practical experience.