Process Engineering Coop
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work. You’ll have the opportunity to grow and learn in a culture that empowers your development. We have built an inclusive, global environment that values the power of diverse talent, backgrounds, and experiences to drive speed, efficiency, innovation, and growth.
What You’ll Get to Do:
As a Plastics Engineering Co-op you’ll help to develop new plastic products and their manufacturing processes from initial concept to their launch into production.
You’ll be able to collaborate with product design engineers, process development engineers, packaging engineers, quality engineers and project leaders to develop manufacturing systems for consumable plastic products for life science, medical device, laboratory, diagnostic and consumer product markets.
This is an exciting opportunity to work with a mentor in a new product development environment that will allow you to learn product development methods and grow your process engineering knowledge.
How You’ll Make a Difference:
• Partner with Great Coworkers: Participate on cross functional project teams to develop new products and manufacturing processes. Present development results at technical reviews. Work with your mentor on specific engineering assignments.
• Concept Design and Development: Contribute to product design through design reviews and design analysis. Participate with Design for Manufacturing (DFM) reviews of new product designs. Review process specifications and development plans with team members and external suppliers such as mold makers, prototyping services and equipment suppliers.
• Equipment Selection: Assist with the selection of primary and secondary plastic processing equipment. Help to develop project capital, product cost requirements and appropriations requests.
• Detailed Process Development: Conduct processing trials to optimize process variables. Use process analytical tools, DOE methods and pFMEA in conjunction with plastic part and mold design best practices.
• Process Verification: Conduct FAT, IQ, OQ and PQ qualifications for molds and/or equipment and molding processes. Coordinate measurement and dimensional studies. Document results with detailed technical reports.
• Currently enrolled in a mechanical, chemical, biomedical or plastics engineering degreed program.
• Demonstrated knowledge of mold tooling, plastic part design, plastic materials, design of experiments (DOE), scientific molding practices and processing equipment.
• Experience with basic data analysis and statistics to analysis part measurement or machine response data.
• Basic "hands on" Experience with plastics lab equipment and injection molding equipment.
• Understanding of mechanical drawings, solid models and mold flow comprehension. Proficiency in Solid Works is a plus.
Location: Rochester, NY
About Rochester: Ranked by MSN as the #1 Most Livable Bargain Markets in the US, Rochester is a great place for a new college graduate. With low housing costs and a vibrant downtown full of arts and culture, it’s an ideal place to gain world class career experience while you pay down your students loans and enjoy your post-college years.
Equal Employment Opportunity & Accessibility
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Thermo Fisher Scientific offers accessibility service for job seekers requiring accommodations in the job application process. For example, this may include individuals requiring assistance because of hearing, vision, mobility, or cognitive impairments. If you require accessibility assistance or an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please submit a request by telephone at 1-855-471-2255*. Please include your contact information and specific details about your required accommodation to support you during the job application process.
Thermo Fisher does not offer employment in this position to holders of F-1, J-1, H-1, OPT, and CPT Visas for the purpose of obtaining practical experience.