Chemistry R&D(Masters) Co-op
*Intern2023 When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals. Our staff members are committed to making a difference in our organization, for our client partners and the patients we serve. We seek individuals with proven competencies and strong character to help lead our organization now and into the future.
Do you have a passion for innovative ideas and groundbreaking discoveries? With over $1 billion invested annually in R&D, at Thermo Fisher Scientific you’ll help tackle some of the world’s toughest challenges, from giving cancer patients hope, ensuring safe drinking water and helping law enforcement solve cases through forensics. We empower our teams to put science into meaningful action and give our R&D colleagues the autonomy, resources and tools they need to take science a step beyond.
This Senior Intern position is available in the Chemistry R&D Team within the Protein and Cellular Analysis business unit located in Eugene, Oregon. The team develops new products for life sciences customers primarily in the areas of flow cytometry, fluoresce imaging, and other cell analysis applications. We are looking for an additional hardworking member. The successful candidate will be responsible for preparing, purifying, characterizing new chemical entities as well as testing in intended applications. Job skills include conceptual understanding and practical abilities in chemistry.
- Design and execution of experimental plans, troubleshooting, data analysis and preparation, and reporting experimental results
- Support the commercialization of new reagents for cellular analysis applications.
- Apply chemical synthesis, purification, formulation, and characterization techniques in a laboratory setting, with a special focus on polymers, organic chemistry, and/or formulations.
- Maintain a detailed and accurate laboratory notebook
- Interact with other internal R&D and business work groups
- Perform tasks independently with mentorship
- Be an active member of the team, seeking and accepting laboratory responsibilities to maintain and improve the workplace
Unrestricted US Work Authorization. Forms of OPT and CPT are restricted work authorization and are not accepted for this role
- Have a B.S. degree in chemistry, polymer science, biochemistry, engineering or other relevant field
- Be enrolled in an accredited advanced degree program
- Have at least one semester experience in a research laboratory setting
- Have completed post-graduate classwork in the field of polymer sciences or organic chemistry
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 100,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Job Seekers with a Disability: Thermo Fisher Scientific offers accessibility service for job seekers requiring accommodations in the job application process. For example, this may include individuals requiring assistance because of hearing, vision, mobility, or cognitive impairments. If you are a job seeker with a disability, or assisting a person with a disability, and require accessibility assistance or an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please submit a request by telephone at 1-855-471-2255*. Please include your contact information and specific details about your required accommodation to support you during the job application process.
*This telephone line is reserved solely for job seekers with disabilities requiring accessibility assistance or an accommodation in the job application process. Messages left for other purposes, such as not being able to get into the career website, following up on an application, or other non-disability related technical issues will not receive a response