Research & Development Intern
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work. You will grow and learn in a culture that empowers your development. We have crafted an inclusive, global environment that values the power of diverse talent, backgrounds, and experiences to drive speed, efficiency, innovation, and growth.
Our internship program will give you a chance to get real world business experience and build your network before graduation. We are seeking an energetic, responsible intern to join our growing organization. In this position, you will learn the ins-and-outs of our daily routines and procedures. You will focus on learning how our organization runs, and will gain valuable insight that can further your interest in your chosen career field. This position has many opportunities to offer!
Customers throughout the globe rely on our extensive range of products and services—from next-generation instruments to everyday lab essentials to life-saving medicine. If you desire to be a part of an extraordinary team, Thermo Fisher Scientific can provide you with the opportunity to work in R&D to produce products that enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Thermo Fisher’s Research and Development work is carried out by dedicated professionals who want to make a difference.
Summary of Internship
Internship positions provide an opportunity for engineering and science students to get hands on experience in a research & development environment.
Internship opportunities may include:
- New Product Introduction
- Software Engineering & Development
- Cell Biology
- Molecular Biology
- Gain experience in multi-disciplinary science with teams in chemistry, materials science, molecular-biology, and data science – all collaborating to build an amazing Next-Generation Sequencing chip!
- Develop surface chemistry treatments and sample workflows to improve ion-sensitive field effect transistor (ISFET) sensor technologies for Next Generation Sequencing.
- Build scientific understanding of chemical monolayers interacting with nanostructured semiconductor surfaces
- Design and execute experiments for chip surface characterization to improve sequencing performance and contribute to technical reports and product summaries with mentorship
- Exhibits creativity in selecting approaches and techniques for acquiring solutions
R&D Interns sometimes work in a laboratory environment and are required to lift up to 40 lbs. As an R&D Intern, you may be required to stand for long periods of time while performing duties. You will work safely with chemicals and hazardous materials. As an intern, you will be encouraged to work flexible hours.
Candidate must work independently with direction, as well as in collaborative teams. Interns must also carry out standard operating procedures involving basic laboratory techniques, calculations, materials measurement, operation of equipment and record keeping. Interns can be responsible for testing data records, notebooks and computerized data storage. Additionally Interns are asked to make detailed observations and analyze data to ensure we are operating within encouraged parameters
- Student currently enrolled in chemistry, materials science, engineering, biology or similar field
- Hands-on laboratory experience in a chemistry or bio-chemistry lab
- Strong desire and motivation to develop a career in Research & Development
- Strong leadership and team building skills
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a multi-functional team
- Aptitude for working with hands and having experience using hand-tools may be beneficial
- To qualify, applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States, and should not require, now or in the future, sponsorship for employment visa status
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Strong problem-solving, experimental, and data analysis skills
- Excellent communication skills and ability to present experimental design and results to others in a clear, concise, and accurate way
- Experience with surface functionalization chemistries is a plus
- Basic knowledge of Python, Jupyter, or coding language is a plus, or a desire to develop coding skills
- Basic knowledge of statistical methods for data analysis
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.