Cell and Gene Therapy R&D Intern
Do you have a passion for innovative ideas and groundbreaking discoveries? With over $1 billion invested annually in R&D, at Thermo Fisher Scientific you’ll help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges, from giving cancer patients hope, ensuring safe drinking water and helping law enforcement tackle cases through forensics. We empower our teams to put science into meaningful action and give our R&D colleagues the autonomy, resources, and tools they need to take science a step beyond.
Summary of Internship
Internship position within our Cell Biology, Cell and Gene Therapy R&D team provides an opportunity for students who are currently pursuing a life sciences related degree to get hands on experience working with cutting edge tools in Cell Therapy field in a fast-paced research and development environment. Technologies that the intern will get familiarized with include various cell processing platforms, gene delivery tools for broad cell types including immune cells, gene editing tools and Viral Vector platforms. The intern will contribute to product development initiatives related to cell and gene therapy workflows. The position is for summer 2023.
- Provide scientific experimental support related to Cell and Gene Therapy tools product development initiatives
- Be involved with many aspects of product development including experimental design and execution, project management, troubleshooting, performing data analysis, and creating standard operating procedures and reports.
- Learn and execute basic molecular biology, cell biology and mammalian cell culture techniques, including transfection and transduction
- Work independently in a fast paced product development setting under stringent timelines
- Collaborate with scientists and effectively communicate project results to diverse audiences.
- Accept candid feedback and look for areas of improvements
- Specific tasks will be tailored to the interns experience level and abilities
- Intern will work under the close supervision of senior scientist and R&D manager
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a cross-functional team
- Willingness to learn, be mentored, and improve based on feedback received
- Desire to contribute and improve design of new and existing products
- Exceptional customer focus
- Desire to teach other scientists about technology in area of expertise
- Aptitude for writing and presenting scientific content
- Is tenacious, decisive, nimble and quick
- Anticipates needs and problems while creating solutions
- Inspires, motivates and collaborates with others
- Is strategic, astute and forward-thinking
- To be eligible for an internship, students must be enrolled in accredited Master degree program, as well as have at least 1 semester/quarter of classwork to complete after the internship (may also be starting an advanced degree program).
- Students with majors related to Cell Biology or related Life Sciences discipline will be desirable
- Basic knowledge in molecular biology and cell biology. Previous hands on experience working with nucleic acids, mammalian cell culture and cell analysis is a plus
- Works in a laboratory environment. May be required to stand for long periods of time while performing duties and lift up to 40 lbs. Must be able to work safely with chemicals and hazardous materials.
Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. As one team of 100,000+ colleagues, we share a common set of values - Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement - working together to accelerate research, solve sophisticated scientific challenges, drive technological innovation and support patients in need. #StartYourStory at Thermo Fisher Scientific, where diverse experiences, backgrounds and perspectives are valued.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Job Seekers with a Disability: Thermo Fisher Scientific offers accessibility service for job seekers requiring accommodations in the job application process. For example, this may include individuals requiring assistance because of hearing, vision, mobility, or cognitive impairments. If you are a job seeker with a disability, or assisting a person with a disability, and require accessibility assistance or an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please submit a request by telephone at 1-855-471-2255*. Please include your contact information and specific details about your required accommodation to support you during the job application process.