Assistant Supervisor, LAR
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory is seeking an Assistant Supervisor to join our growing Lab Animal Resources department. In this role, the incumbent will facilitate the daily functions and activities of animal care staff in cooperation with senior level Supervisor. She/he will assist in the operations of assigned areas of the animal facility. This role will consist of planning and scheduling the feeding and care rodent facility, and organizing and planning technical procedures.
· Perform miscellaneous duties as assigned.
· Oversees cage wash operations, record keeping for the animal care program (animal room census, breeding, technical services, etc.).
· Conducts facility inspections and assist in managing the quality assurance program in the animal facilities.
· Determines needs and makes recommendations for staffing and new/replacement equipment and/or services.
· Assists in ensuring facility and equipment maintenance is meeting operational standards.
· Assists faculty and investigators to determine project requirements for animal resources, housing and care.
· Assist in maintaining compliance for accreditation of animal care program (ARC SOPs, IACUC policy, the Guide, AWA, NIH guidelines, USDA, CDC, PHS policy, etc.).
· Assists in the disciplinary actions for animal care and husbandry staff.
· Provides backup oversight of the facility in the absence of the Supervisor.
· Develops and/or participates in an animal care training program for researchers, staff and students; prepares and presents related material.
· Prepares and/or maintains various reports and files.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Biological Science or related and American Association of Laboratory Animal Science certification as a Laboratory Animal Technician
Experience: 3-5 years of qualified experience
Occasional Weekend/holiday required
Demonstrate written and oral communication skills and ability to initiate correspondence to investigators and produce accurate records.
Working knowledge of medical/research terminology.
Demonstrate ability to work both independently and in a team oriented environment.
Ability to organize effective record keeping and computer utilizing software including word processing, spreadsheets and database operations.
Knowledge of USDA, New York State, AAALAC and PHS policies and procedures.
Familiar with the rules and regulations as outline in “The Guide”.
Knowledge of methods and medical techniques in handling small animals.
Ability to effectively communicate is essential.
Please apply for this this position via the CSHL website: https://cshl.peopleadmin.com/postings/20072
Position Number: 01773-A
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package.
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory is a world-renowned research and educational institution with programs in cancer, neuroscience, plant biology, genomics and bioinformatics. The Laboratory is recognized internationally for its excellence in research and educational activities. For more information about CSHL, please visit https://www.cshl.edu.
You are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 as a condition to your employment at the Laboratory. You will be required to provide proof of your vaccination on your first day of employment. For those individuals, who are unable to receive a vaccine due to access issues, they will be expected to receive the vaccine upon arrival in New York.
CSHL is an EO/AA Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or protected veteran status.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor