Summer Intern – Energy Management
Pattern Energy is an independent, fully integrated energy company that develops, constructs, owns and operates renewable energy projects and transmission assets across North America and parts of Latin America. The company focuses primarily on wind and transmission, with limited investments in other generation technologies.
The Pattern Energy team has a history as one of the top North American renewable energy and transmission providers in the industry. The team is dedicated to delivering the highest value for its customers, partners, financial supporters and the communities in which it works, while exhibiting a strong commitment to promoting environmental stewardship and corporate responsibility.
Pattern Energy operates in the United States and Canada, with offices in San Francisco, Houston, San Diego, New York and Toronto. Pattern Energy’s corporate headquarters are in San Francisco.
Pattern Energy is excited to hire our summer 2023 Interns! Pattern’s Summer Internship Program gives undergraduate and graduate students hands-on experience to develop technical skills, as well as a better understanding of the renewable industry. This internship program will run for approximately 10-12 weeks and include a formal welcome, mentorship opportunities, and executive exposure. This is one way that Pattern Energy supports the larger renewable community and invests in the next generation of great minds.
The Energy Management team is seeking an intern to support the group in enhancing our capabilities in power market data analysis and intelligence. The role will require the Intern to be an integral member of the Energy Management team in assisting in advancing their growing footprint and work. This internship will provide the opportunity to gain a basic knowledge and understanding of the power industry, market structure (particularly in ERCOT), and its key macroeconomic drivers, especially as it relates to wind generation. This position will include data analysis, financial analysis and modeling, data management and analysis, research and investigation, and development of tools.
The Intern will assist in the development and enhancement of key market fundamentals used for transactions and learn the interplay between renewable generation and electricity markets. In addition, the role will require organization and manipulation of large amounts of data and integration of the data into Pattern data systems and tools.
· Assist in the identification of new market fundamentals and the evaluation existing fundamentals to drive existing transaction decisions.
· Participate in position crafting of varying time lengths by the EMG group.
· Integrate data from relevant macroeconomic drivers into internal data systems and tools
· Explore opportunities in various markets through research projects driven by market data.
· Investigate how to integrate data from ERCOT, CAISO, and other grid operators into Pattern’s internal data systems and tools
· Perform general research and other analysis or projects as required
· Complete an internship presentation at the end of the term
· Working towards a Bachelor's or Master’s degree in: Business, or Economics, having completed 3 years of relevant course work
· Familiarity of power generation industry, working with large data sets, and basic statistics.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills with an ability to express ideas effectively and fluently
· Experience in computer sciences, particularly coding, developing automation, or machine learning is a plus.
· Ability to work in a collaborative environment where teamwork and independent work ethic are essential
· Ability to organize time well and set proper priorities
· Advanced knowledge of Microsoft products including PowerBI, Excel and PowerPoint is a plus.
This position will commence in late May/early June through August 2023.
Pattern Energy Group LP is an equal opportunity employer