Job Title: Environmental Health and Safety Intern
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work. You’ll have the opportunity to grow and learn in a culture that empowers your development. We have created an inclusive, global environment that values the power of diverse talent, backgrounds, and experiences to drive speed, efficiency, innovation, and growth.
Our internship program will give you a chance to get real world business experience and build your network before graduation. We are seeking an energetic, responsible intern to join our growing organization. In this position, you will be expected to learn the ins-and-outs of our daily routines and procedures. You will focus on learning how our organization runs, and can be expected to gain valuable insight that can cultivate your interest in your chosen career field.
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science. With revenues of $40 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our 130,000 employees the resources and opportunities to make relevant contributions to the world. The customers we serve fall within pharmaceutical and biotech companies, hospitals and clinical diagnostic labs, universities, research institutions and government agencies. Our products and services help accelerate the pace of scientific discovery, and address challenges ranging from complex research to routine testing to field applications.
Summary of Internship
The Environmental Health and Safety Internship position provides an opportunity for engineering students to get hands-on experience working in a fast-paced chemical production environment. The position starts in May or June, working 40 hours per week through August.
- Learn about the various elements of OSHA Process Safety Management.
- Assist in compliance activities for new capital projects as well as existing processes.
- Collect and update site-specific process safety information (PSI) for covered processes.
- Update electronic file of block flow diagrams, Process Flow Drawings (PFD’s) and Piping and Instrumentation diagrams (P&ID’s).
- Support the revision and development of new Standard Operating Procedures as needed.
- Participate in risk assessment activities, incident investigations and assist with the closure of findings from these activities.
- Learn about the various state and national regulations that apply to chemical manufacturing sites.
- Review current processes and production steps and provide feedback for improvements.
Skills and Abilities
- Proficiency in AutoCAD a plus
- Experience with or knowledge of risk assessments
- Process simulation and dispersion modelling software knowledge a plus
- Ability to prioritize and work on multiple projects/tasks simultaneously
- Problem solving skills
- Desire for continuous improvement
- Ability to climb stairs and ladders
- Able to drive to Fairlawn and Bridgewater Sites.
- Student currently enrolled in classes leading to an accredited Bachelor’s degree in a related engineering, science or life science field (Chemical Engineering strongly preferred but not required).
- Process Safety, Design or Engineering courses.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.