POSITION SUMMARY: The Environmental Specialist supports the Environmental Manager in the collection and reporting of data and is responsible for the operation of environmental systems in a direct and/or supervisory role. The Environmental Specialist may supervise and interact with field staff on a variety of construction and technical issues across multiple divisions.
- Collects, reports, and tracks environmental monitoring at relevant locations. May be responsible for completing and maintaining facility operating records. Activities could include conducting storm water compliance inspections, sampling, reporting and training in accordance with the existing facility-specifics Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plans (SWPPP) and the general provision of the Industrial Storm Water General Permit (ISWGP).
- Performs ongoing public relations and due diligence activities through communication with Division and Business Unit management as well as regulatory agency representatives.
- In conjunction with the Environmental Manager, performs site audits, completes and analyzes monthly environmental reports and other status reports as well as assisting with completing or managing required environmental sampling and reporting.
- Performs and oversees activities related to rolling out and completing necessary projects.
- Conducts and supervises landfill monitoring, operation and maintenance of gas extraction or leachate management systems.
- Oversees and works with outside vendors handling environmental systems and makes recommendations regarding vendor activities.
- Ensures continued compliance by coordinating air and water monitoring, environmental data review and reporting and compliance task tracking.
- Conducts and coordinates formal and informal environmental training for Environmental Technicians, Landfill Managers, and other employees.
- May assist with project management duties associated with construction projects, including but not limited to, tracking construction progresss and compliance.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
- Certified Professional Engineer and/or Certified Professional Geologist designation obtained or in progress.
- Thorough knowledge of environmental regulations relating to air, water, solid waste, and material recovery/recycling.
- Good time management skills to ensure assigned responsibilities are completed in an efficient and safe manner.
- Strong written and oral communication skills required.
- Effective interpersonal communication across various levels of the organization and with external customers and vendors.
- Strong analytical skills and a focus on adding value to the Company.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret business documents, professional journals, technical procedures, and governmental regulations.
- Ability to adhere to Company policies and rules set forth; promotoes the Company’s safety standards; works with a sense of honesty and trustworthiness.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Geology, Biology or related science.