Applied Mathematician/Scientific Computing Specialist
Are you passionate about applying computational modeling approaches to biological problems? Do you have a background in applied mathematics and scientific programming? Are you interested in working for a company that values dedication in the workplace, promotes learning and professional development, and appreciates the importance of work-life balance? We seek an individual with a background in applied mathematics and demonstrated experience in developing, applying, and coding mathematical models to simulate biological systems. In addition to a background in programming and mathematics, the successful candidate should have a keen interest in solving complex mathematical equations numerically and analytically and a working knowledge of one or more programming languages.
Applied Research Associates, Inc. (ARA) is seeking a mathematical modeler/scientific programmer to join the Computational Modeling and Respiratory Dosimetry (CMRD) Group in the Algorithms, Modeling, and Assessments Division in either the Arlington, VA, or the Raleigh, NC office. A successful candidate will work with a multidisciplinary team of engineers, mathematicians, and programmers to develop and solve mathematical models that simulate biological systems. The models may encompass a wide range of applications but will focus on inhalation dosimetry of inhaled materials, including tobacco products, chemical/biological agents, particulate matter, and pharmaceuticals. The ideal candidate will have a degree in applied mathematics or biomedical engineering, a solid background in developing and solving mathematical models, proficiency in computational methods, and strong programming skills. In this role, you will develop and document new codes by working with other programmers, modelers, and engineers in a dynamic and collaborative team environment. Projects can range in size from simple computations to large-scale software packages and web applications.
Applied Mathematician/Scientific Computing Specialist Position Requirements:
• Due to the work you’ll perform, you must be a US citizen and eligible to apply for and hold a US security clearance (selected applicants will undergo a security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements at the time of employment)
• Bachelor’s degree in Applied Mathematics, Physics, Engineering, or related discipline with two or more years of relevant work experience that involves modeling and programming
• Strong quantitative background that includes computational methods
• Knowledge of one or more programming languages (Java, Python, C++)
• Ability to work collaboratively in a team-oriented environment yet have the maturity to work independently when needed with little supervision
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Applied Mathematician/Scientific Computing SpecialistPosition Preferences:
• Active DoD security clearance is desirable
• Knowledge or experience in several of the following areas is strongly preferred:
+ Object-oriented programming
+ Human physiology
+ Respiratory dosimetry
+ Aerosol science
+ Fluid dynamics
+ Model development and computational solution of deterministic and probabilistic problems.
• Experience programming in MATLAB
• Demonstrated proficiency in scripting programming languages such as Python or R
• Demonstrated research and writing skills, as evidenced by technical writing
• Five or more years of relevant work experience that involves modeling and programming
Applied Research Associates, Inc. (aka ARA) is an employee-owned international research and engineering company known for providing technically superior solutions to complex and challenging problems in the physical sciences. We were founded in Albuquerque, NM in 1979 as the disco era was, thankfully, closing out and the personal computer era was beginning. We employ over 1,500 professionals and continue to grow. ARA offices throughout the U.S. and Canada provide a broad range of technical expertise in defense, civil, and health technologies, computer software, and simulation, systems analysis, environmental technologies, and testing and measurement.
ARA also prides ourselves on having a challenging culture where innovation & experimentation are the norm. At ARA, employees are our greatest assets, so we give our employees the tools, training, and opportunities to take active roles as owners. The motto, “Engineering and Science for Fun and Profit” sums up the ARA experience. The company realizes employee ownership spawns greater creativity and initiative along with higher performance and customer satisfaction levels. We are also very proud of our Women’s Initiative Network (WIN) whose purpose is to motivate, support, and encourage professional career development for women to maximize career and professional accomplishments.
To find out more about Algorithms, Modeling & Assessments Division visit our website at: https://www.ara.com
• 2 year(s): Relevant Work Experience
• Bachelors or better in Applied Mathematics or related field
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)