2023 Summer College Intern - IT Data Scientist
Florida Power & Light Company is America’s largest electric company, providing clean, affordable, and reliable electricity to more than 12 million people in Florida. We operate one of the cleanest power generation fleets in the U.S. and our reliability is among the best in the nation. Our goal is to achieve Real Zero carbon emissions from our operations by 2045 by expanding our solar capacity, increasing battery storage and bringing new renewable energy opportunities to Florida, while improving customer affordability and reliability. Are you interested in becoming a game-changer in the energy industry? Join our world-class team today!
Position Specific Description
As a part of the Information Technology (IT) group at NextEra Energy, you will work as part of a team that provides data science services to different business units across the company. You will be responsible for the development of new machine learning products or enhancements of existing applications in Amazon Web Services cloud or on-premise platforms. You shall provide technical and functional guidance on machine learning, optimization, statistics, and/or applied mathematics, along with sound software engineering and development processes, to deliver business value by translating complex data into meaningful insights.
- Maintain active enrollment in a Bachelor’s or higher degree program majoring in Computer Science, Information Technology, Mathematics, Data Science, Engineer, or related fields
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- A basic understanding of statistics/probability, machine learning, and analysis
- Enthusiasm and motivation with a growth mindset and passion to solve real-world data problems
- Eagerness to learn new concepts and tools, analytical problem-solving mindset, good listening skills, teamwork, and effective oral and written communications
- Analyze, identify and interpret patterns or trends in complex data
- Ability to develop models and algorithms best suited to a particular scenario and assess their effectiveness
- Depth in linear algebra, statistics and machine learning techniques including classification, clustering, regression, time series, and deep learning
- Experience with programming languages such as Python and/or R
- Familiar with data engineering, ETL techniques, and relational databases
- Ability to communicate ideas and findings clearly to key decision makers
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (EC2, Redshift, S3, SQS, SNS, etc.)
- Knowledge of Agile Methodologies
To be considered for an internship, you must be actively enrolled at a college or university as a full-time student seeking a bachelor’s degree or higher. You must also have a current cumulative GPA of 3.00 or higher (on a 0.00 to 4.00 scale).
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Assists department with assigned projects
- Completes challenging projects and assignments
- Presents final project to senior leadership at the end of the internship
- Assumes responsibility for own travel, lodging, and transportation necessary to be available for the program
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned
- High school grad / GED
- Maintain active enrollment in a Bachelor or higher degree program
- Maintain cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
Employee Group: Non Exempt
Employee Type: Intern
Job Category: Intern
Organization: Florida Power & Light Company
Relocation Provided: No
Where permitted by applicable law, NextEra Energy requires all employees and new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccination on or before the first day of employment.
NextEra Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, age, national origin, religion, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetics, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace.
NextEra Energy provides reasonable accommodation in its application and selection process for qualified individuals, including accommodations related to compliance with conditional job offer requirements, consistent with federal, state, and local laws. Supporting medical or religious documentation will be required where applicable and permitted by applicable law. To request a reasonable accommodation, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, providing your name, telephone number and the best time for us to reach you. Alternatively, you may call 1-844-694-4748. Please do not use this line to inquire about your application status.
NextEra Energy will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
NextEra Energy does not accept any unsolicited resumes or referrals from any third-party recruiting firms or agencies. Please see our policy for more information.