Geology Intern (Oil & Gas Business)
Oxy is an international energy company with assets primarily in the United States, the Middle East and North Africa. We are one of the largest oil producers in the U.S., including a leading producer in the Permian and DJ basins, and offshore Gulf of Mexico. Our midstream and marketing segment provides flow assurance and maximizes the value of our oil and gas. Our chemical subsidiary OxyChem manufactures the building blocks for life-enhancing products. Our Oxy Low Carbon Ventures subsidiary is advancing leading-edge technologies and business solutions that economically grow our business while reducing emissions. We are committed to using our global leadership in carbon management to advance a lower-carbon world. Visit oxy.com for more information.
University students working toward a graduate degree in Geology or Geophysics will participate in Occidental’s Summer Intern program. He or she will be immersed in an exciting fast-paced environment working a project requiring teamwork, creative thinking, decision-making, and business acumen.
Oxy’s Summer Intern Program runs from May to August for a full 12 weeks. As an Oxy intern, you will have the opportunity to experience real-life projects with hands-on participation in Oxy’s core businesses. Your summer project will be designed to add value to our operations while providing an opportunity to observe your skills and competencies in action. Oxy interns are paired with a manager and mentor in order to provide technical guidance throughout the project timeline. In addition to attending training and development courses, lunch and learns, field trips, and social activities, interns will be given the chance to meet with Oxy executives and leadership throughout the internship. Click here for more information about the intern program.
- Ability to work with multiple disciplines and cross functionally
- Self-motivated and able to thrive when given a significant amount of responsibility
- Maintain project timeline
- Evaluate, organize and prioritize workload
- Can make decisions with little information and is comfortable with change
- Graduate student in Geology or Geophysics with focus in Petroleum-related discipline (i.e. stratigraphy, sedimentology, structure, reservoir modeling, seismic interpretation, etc.)
- Minimum cumulative 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale and has successfully defended their thesis
- Must have a graduation date of December 2023 – May 2025
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to work as part of a team
- Excellent verbal/ written communication and presentation skills
- Team player and able to interact with employees at all levels of the organization
- Desire to pursue career in Oil and Gas Industry
- Houston, Texas
Occidental is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, political preference, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.