Intern, Health, Safety & Environment
The purpose of this position is to:
(1) assist with a variety of environmental, health, and safety duties with a focus on supporting the production of biodiesel fuel and related co-products.
(2) assist manufacturing, construction and other REG departments in the goal of continuous improvement with environmental stewardship, regulatory compliance and sustainability.
(3) assist in the implementation of agency permits and reporting requirements.
- Provide technical HSE support to all REG facilities including biodiesel plants
- Continually improve company environmental, health and safety policies, plans, and procedures
- Apply techniques and solutions to resolve HSE issues and achieve program objectives in an efficient and timely manner
- Develop training programs or tools to support HSE compliance and continuous improvement
- Develop HSE programs designed to promote and enhance management systems or address deficiencies
- Maintain working knowledge HSE regulations and standards that affect the company
- Assist with Company responses to any environmental authorities as they arise.
- Understand Federal and State (those where REG does business) environmental regulations and monitor regulatory changes (through Federal Register, industry networking, etc.) as they occur.
- Provide technical support to corporate and facility personnel to ensure compliance with applicable environmental regulations.
- Communicate with personnel to ensure that HSE policies, plans, and procedures are followed
- Conduct HSE audits/inspections and provide written report of results including opportunities for improvement
- Monitor and audit housekeeping records, HSE related permits, and procedures to ensure compliance
Other frequent duties:
- Interact with various internal departments to provide HSE technical support and knowledge
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Be available for daily work and overtime as required
- Demonstrate attention to detail
- Ability to use office equipment (computer, copy/fax machine, telephone, postage meter, etc.)
- Organize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously and meeting deadlines
- Provide suggestions to offer alternative perspectives to situations
- Maintain a clean and orderly work environment
- Ability to communicate technical information both orally and in writing
- Possess a background in HSE management systems
- Record results, generate computer reports, and process written records on a timely basis
- Ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions
- Ability to think analytically to resolve problems
- Work independently or with others as a team to complete assigned projects
- Provide personal contact information on an as needed basis for official business purposes
- Be able to work independently or as a team player
Education Required: Pursuing a bachelor’s degree – Engineering (such as environmental or chemical), Occupational Safety, Health, or other technical degree.
**Senior or Junior status preferred
Experience Required: Relevant courses, club participation and internship preferred
Strong verbal and written communication skills
Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Word, Visio)
Basic accounting skills
Special skills or knowledge preferred:
Experience in writing detailed instructions
Biodiesel production or related processes