Administrative Assistant III
Under the direct supervision of the Sr. Director, Finance (FIN), this position will provide experienced administrative and clerical support to multiple supervisors and staff of the Finance, Research Accounting, Procurement, Financial Information Systems, and Human Resources departments in a high-volume environment. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter with excellent attention to detail, leveraging strong organizational skills to manage shifting priorities and effective communication skills to coordinate with a broad spectrum of internal and external stakeholders.
Administrative Support (60%)
- Serves as initial point of contact for in-person visitors, addressing routine questions or directing them to the appropriate contact. May coordinate visitor registration with Security Department and provide visitors with directions.
- Monitors FIN general email inbox, as well as the supplier email inbox, responds to routine inquiries, and escalates matters as appropriate and in a timely manner.
- Answers FIN general phone line and CFO’s phone as needed or upon request, responds to routine inquiries, and escalates matters as appropriate and in a timely manner.
- Photocopies, scans, prints, and faxes both general and sensitive documents.
- Participates in team meetings and may maintain agenda and minutes for meetings.
- Schedules meetings and meeting rooms as needed.
- Assists with mail and package preparation, shipping, and sorting.
- Supports staff as needed during peak periods, absences, and position vacancies, as necessary.
- Schedules and coordinates arrangements for department/team events.
- Orders office supplies, materials, and equipment, maintains inventory, and performs basic troubleshooting of office equipment.
- Liaises with internal departments such Facilities and Information Technology to initiate and schedule work/service orders, and schedules services with outside vendors.
- Drives to the Institute’s main campus, the bank, and the post office/FedEx as needed.
- Tracks all completed journal entries on the Control Log daily.
- Tracks all reviewed and approved reconciliations on a monthly basis.
- Runs sam.gov checks according to related automated report, as necessary.
- Sets up new suppliers, makes changes to existing suppliers, and uploads suppliers’ Certificates of Insurance in/into Salk’s e-procurement system.
- General administrative duties and special projects as assigned.
Executive Support (40%)
- Serves as the primary administrative contact supporting CFO and department heads (Management).
- Maintains Management’s calendars and various department calendars as needed or upon request.
- At the direction of Management, may assist with emails and inquiries addressed to the attention of Management.
- Processes credit card expenditures/expense reports.
- Assists with organizing and executing projects as needed.
- Minimum of 3 years of professional work experience in an administrative support or management assistant role
- Experience providing support in an Accounting, Finance, Purchasing, or Human Resources department.
- Notary, or willingness to become a notary.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field such Business Administration or equivalent.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Valid CA driver’s license, clean driving record, and transportation
- Exercise sound judgment in executing work and determining appropriate course of action in accordance with policies and procedures and/or guidance from more experienced staff.
- Ability to quickly intake and analyze information, determine if additional information is needed, and take the appropriate course of action to resolve problems.
- Strong computer proficiency with the use of various software applications including, but not limited to Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat Pro.
- Must be able to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact constructively and effectively with a diverse spectrum of internal and external contacts.
- Demonstrated professionalism and customer service skills to respond in a thoughtful, prompt, and accurate manner. Must have strong phone etiquette and email/written composition skills to include knowledge of proper formats, grammar, and spelling.
- Must be a fast learner, be adaptable to changes and ideas, and discuss questions and solutions in a collaborative manner.
- Demonstrated ability to follow oral and written instructions, seek instruction when appropriate before taking actions, and use sound judgment when needed if instruction is not immediately available.
- Demonstrated ability to organize records and accurately extract, compile, review, and apply data from a variety of sources including documents, emails, and computer applications/systems.
- Strong organizational skills, with accuracy and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines despite frequent interruptions and changing priorities and demands.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and handle sensitive matters discreetly. Ability to follow and adhere to policies and procedures concerning confidentiality, security and retention of information and systems.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be willing to work in an animal-related research environment.
- Satisfactory completion of the Institute’s background investigation, including MVR.
- Must be willing to sign a confidentiality agreement.
- Must be willing to work overtime based on operational needs.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/MENTAL ACTIVITIES/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
The incumbent in this position will be constantly seeing, reasoning, and working indoors.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)