Commercial MBA Intern, Commercial Operations
Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. Ginkgo is constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our bioengineers make use of an in-house automated foundry for designing and building new organisms.
In Commercial Operations, we are the primary contact and overall relationship holder for Ginkgo's customers, with responsibility for the success of major Ginkgo partnerships. The role sits at the nexus of Ginkgo’s mission and strategy, and as the team enabling our partners’ success on Ginkgo’s platform, we are uniquely positioned to create impact both for our partners and for Ginkgo at large. If you are interested in general management, this is the team for you.
As an MBA Intern on Ginkgo’s Commercial Operations team, you will partner with our core technical and commercial teams to help drive commercialization of the Ginkgo platform. You will work to identify and size new markets, prioritize and expand engagement with existing customers, support delivery of existing customer commitments, and partner with leaders across the company to drive commercial efficiency. You will play a critical role in identifying trends and areas of commercial opportunity for Ginkgo.
The Ginkgo Bioworks Early Talent program is open to students who will return to their degree programs upon completion of their employment at Ginkgo. Candidates must be enrolled in a United States based institution and/or have work authorization in the United States to be eligible to participate.
- Manage and improve Ginkgo’s Cell Engineering commercial pipeline
- Explore, design, implement, and support new business processes to streamline operations
- Market landscape assessment, business case development, pitch creation, and new partner outreach for new market applications across industries
- Support the development and implementation of Ginkgo’s Cell Engineering growth strategy
- Measure, analyze, and assess our portfolio of projects against strategic goals
- Synthesize complex information from disparate sources into concise and clear narratives
- You have completed a bachelor’s degree in a business or science-related field, and are currently enrolled in an MBA degree program (Note, if your bachelor’s degree was in business, you have at least 2 years of experience in life sciences)
- You have one year of relevant professional experience, particularly in biotechnology or a related field
Preferred Capabilities and Experience
- You have strong analytical skills, with an ability to develop fact-based and informed opinions
- You possess excellent communication skills and have an ability to work across organizational boundaries
- You have effective narrative development skills
- You have a proven track record of project ownership and results orientation
We also feel that it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry, and that needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. Ginkgo is deeply committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in all of its practices, especially when it comes to growing our team. Our culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with people from all walks of life.
We’re developing a powerful biological engineering platform, so we must remain mindful of the many ways our technology can – and will – impact people around the world. We care about how our platform is used, and having a diverse team to build it gives us the best chance that it’s something we’ll be proud of as it continues to grow. Therefore, it’s critical that we incorporate the diverse voices and visions of all those who play a role in the future of biology.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.