Internal Audit Internship (Summer 2023)
We are seeking students who are eager to learn, self-motivated and are comfortable working independently. This internship will make an impact! You will support and assist with real-life projects in our Audit Department. These projects are designed to enhance your communication and teamwork skills, as you will be collaborating with individuals across all functions in our organization. You will work alongside professionals in your field, gaining in-depth knowledge about the energy industry and your chosen field of expertise. You will apply what you have learned in school to impactful projects within a publicly traded, multi-state utility and energy company.
Learn more about our internship program here: https://careers.blackhillsenergy.com/students
PAY: $17.00 per hour (set by job function/department)
- Additional benefits include meaningful work, relocation benefits, intern week experience, casual dress code, plus you'll earn 401k contributions during your internship.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Manager, Internal Audit
LOCATION: This position is located at our Company Headquarters in Rapid City, South Dakota.
- Relocation allowance of $1,000 provided to assist with moving.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Understand and document business processes, risks, and controls with assistance and oversight.
- Execute efficient and effective methods to test controls, including data analysis, evaluation of transactions, and observation of processes with assistance and oversight.
- Document audit results in audit work papers that are comprehensive, clear, concise, organized, and in accordance with audit manual with oversight. Respond to review comments in a timely manner.
- Collaborate and share knowledge and ideas for improving efficiency of duties with co-workers.
- Comply with and perform duties within Company policies and procedures.
- Perform assigned duties in a professional manner to facilitate the objectives and goals of the Company and to enhance the image of the Internal Audit Department.
- Keep team members and manager informed on the status of work.
- Participation in the Company’s industry orientation experiences, which may include some travel and overnight stays. Prepare and present a synopsis of experience with the Company at the end of the internship.
- College junior or above working towards a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Computer Information Systems, Engineering, Applied Mathematics, or Economics. If you are a recent graduate, you must be within 1 year of your graduation date.
- No experience required.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Attention to detail required.
- Demonstrate enthusiasm on the job and a willingness to accept job responsibilities and new assignments.
- Ability to perform audit duties of basic to average difficulty.
- Ability to communicate with employees and various business contacts in a professional and courteous manner.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment to accomplish shared objectives and goals.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise discretion with sensitive business and employee information.
- Must be flexible to changes in assignments to assist the department in accomplishing shared objectives and goals.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
MENTAL/PHYSICAL DESCRIPTIONS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The mental and physical descriptions are representative of the activities an employee in an office job performs. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Mental description: Understand, remember, apply oral and/or written instructions or other information, and communicate routine factual information. Apply common sense in performing job functions, usually within a set of rules or guidelines.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee continuously accesses, inputs, and retrieves electronic information and communicates regarding the information. Employee frequently moves about the office space. Employee must be able to operate routine office equipment including computers and similar equipment. Must be able to routinely perform this work for an average of 6-8 hours per day and occasional extended hours as necessary. Must be capable of regular, reliable, and timely attendance.
Specific lifting abilities required by this job include: Sedentary work. Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or continuously to lift, carry, push, pull or sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if moving about is only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
Work environment: Routinely perform work indoors in climate-controlled shared work area with moderate noise level. Willing to travel occasionally (less than 10 days per year) by automobile (as driver and passenger), commercial airlines, rental vehicles and public transportation and be able to lodge in public facilities.
This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the agreement will apply.
About our Company: We are a customer, growth and safety focused utility company that is dedicated to our communities. We improve life with energy as an energy partner of choice. Our diverse culture fuels unique perspectives, opening doors to new insights and possibilities. Based in Rapid City, South Dakota, we have over 3000 employees and serve 1.3 million natural gas and electric utility customers across eight states (South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Arkansas).
Candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
Black Hills Energy does not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or status as a protected veteran.