2023 Summer College Intern - Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A)
Requisition ID: 65631
Florida Power & Light Company is America’s largest electric company, providing clean, affordable, and reliable electricity to more than 12 million people in Florida. We operate one of the cleanest power generation fleets in the U.S. and our reliability is among the best in the nation. Our goal is to achieve Real Zero carbon emissions from our operations by 2045 by expanding our solar capacity, increasing battery storage and bringing new renewable energy opportunities to Florida, while improving customer affordability and reliability. Are you interested in becoming a game-changer in the energy industry? Join our world-class team today!
Position Specific Description
The Financial Center of Excellence is currently seeking a motivated accounting intern who is ready to apply knowledge of financial terms and principles to an authentic real-world experience. The intern will assist with a wide range of duties, including analyzing data, preparing financial reports, entering data, and learning about various finance activities. This is an exciting opportunity for any student pursuing a career in finance.
Under direct supervision, this job applies diversified knowledge of financial analysis principles and practices to serving as the financial representative for a specific business unit under the NextEra hierarchy. Responsible for month reporting, forecasting, and working on process improvement projects within the FP&A department. Develops knowledge and skills related to financial systems used in FP&A along with improving customer service skills. Goal is to a subject matter expert on a specific business units budget by the end of the internship program. Candidates must have cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher to be considered .
- Assist with month-end financial reporting
- Assist with identifying, analyzing, and communicating to management the impact on the Company's financial structure, profitability, financial integrity, and competitive position utilizing relevant analytical methods and/or department’s forecasting models
- Assist in providing financial analysis support for various projects, calculating revenue requirements, net present value, customer bill impact, etc.
- Assist in providing expertise, support, and financial training for the company departments requiring these services
- Assist in performing financial analyses as required by management or regulatory bodies
- Assist in preparing PowerPoint presentations to be provided to Senior and Executive Management
- Participates in special projects and performs special assignments as required
- Business, Finance/ Accounting major
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Aptitude for mathematics
- Basic understanding of financial and accounting principles
- Attention to detail
- Ability to multitask
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Practical experience with a wide variety of finance activities
- Shadowing, mentoring, and training opportunities with seasoned professionals
- Opportunity to participate in networking events and company meetings
To be considered for an internship, you must be actively enrolled at a college or university as a full-time student seeking a bachelor’s degree or higher. You must also have a current cumulative GPA of 3.00 or higher (on a 0.00 to 4.00 scale).
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Assists department with assigned projects
- Completes challenging projects and assignments
- Presents final project to senior leadership at the end of the internship
- Assumes responsibility for own travel, lodging, and transportation necessary to be available for the program
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned
- High school grad / GED
- Maintain active enrollment in a Bachelor or higher degree program
- Maintain cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
Employee Group: Non Exempt
Employee Type: Intern
Job Category: Intern
Organization: Florida Power & Light Company
Relocation Provided: No
Where permitted by applicable law, NextEra Energy requires all employees and new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccination on or before the first day of employment.
NextEra Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, age, national origin, religion, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetics, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace.
NextEra Energy provides reasonable accommodation in its application and selection process for qualified individuals, including accommodations related to compliance with conditional job offer requirements, consistent with federal, state, and local laws. Supporting medical or religious documentation will be required where applicable and permitted by applicable law. To request a reasonable accommodation, please send an e-mail to email@example.com, providing your name, telephone number and the best time for us to reach you. Alternatively, you may call 1-844-694-4748. Please do not use this line to inquire about your application status.
NextEra Energy will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
NextEra Energy does not accept any unsolicited resumes or referrals from any third-party recruiting firms or agencies. Please see our policy for more information.