Finance and Accounting Rotational Development Program Associate
Florida Power & Light Company is America’s largest electric company, providing clean, affordable, and reliable electricity to more than 12 million people in Florida. We operate one of the cleanest power generation fleets in the U.S. and our reliability is among the best in the nation. Our goal is to achieve Real Zero carbon emissions from our operations by 2045 by expanding our solar capacity, increasing battery storage and bringing new renewable energy opportunities to Florida, while improving customer affordability and reliability. Are you interested in becoming a game-changer in the energy industry? Join our world-class team today!
Position Specific Description
NextEra Energy’s talented and diverse finance, accounting and business services organizations provide great value to the organization and its stakeholders. Due to the continuing growth of our renewable energy generation business, NextEra Energy is recruiting finance and accounting professionals at the beginning of their careers with the aim of developing them into our future leaders.
Learn more about the Finance & Accounting Rotational Development Program and our company HERE. Rotation associates are full-time and based in the Juno Beach/ Jupiter/ West Palm Beach area or Houston Area.
This 3-year leadership rotational development program consisting of three unique 12-month rotations will expose the Rotation Associate to critical finance and accounting functions in our corporate centers of excellence or business operations of electricity-generating facilities and the growing renewable energy industry.
Degree: Finance, accounting, or business related degree preferred.
The Finance & Accounting Rotational Development Program associates will start in February and August each year. Early start could be available.
Rotation associates interact with experts in their disciplines while learning finance & accounting best practices in roles such as:
- Accounting Center of Excellence (COE)
- Financial Planning & Analysis / Trust Fund Investments COE Accounting
- Florida Power & Light Finance
- NextEra Energy Resources Finance
- Tax Accounting & Forecasting
- Nuclear Business Operations
- Power Generation Business Services
- Power Delivery Business Services
- Investor Relations
- Internal Audit
- Credit & Risk Operations
After three years and three rotations, upon successful completion of the program, graduates are placed in a role that best matches their interests and supports the needs of the business.
NextEra Energy’s finance and accounting organizations support business units such as renewable energy development (wind, solar, battery storage), power generation, power marketing & trading, power delivery, customer service, IT, HR and others.
In collaboration with a trained management team, the candidate will:
- Learn and understand the business
- Key operational drivers
- Finance/accounting issues for assigned functional area(s)
- Related market forces
- Understand the finance/accounting impact of business transactions; ensure compliance with GAAP requirements
- Demonstrate initiative, a strong drive to succeed, take ownership of assigned tasks and meet aggressive deadlines related to the finance, accounting, forecasting and reporting processes
- Build strong working relationships across the organization to ensure the proper accounting, consolidation and reporting of assigned functional areas
- Support internal and external reporting functions (such as 10-K, 10-Q, management reporting, etc.)
- Comply with all Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) processes
- Execute special projects (e.g., software implementations, Six Sigma projects, Agile projects, process automation, implementation of new accounting standards)
The ideal candidate will possess the following performance attributes and competencies:
- Leadership aptitude – desire and initiative to ultimately progress into a team leadership role; often demonstrated by involvement as a leader in student organizations.
- Team player – collaborative orientation; focused on team success over personal gain
- Driven – self-motivated; committed to excellence and personal growth
- Problem solver – ability to identify issues and develop practical solutions
- Professional skills – excellent communication skills and a bias for action
- Innovation mindset – interest in learning new things and applying knowledge to create innovative solutions
- Process & project management – strong planning and organizational skills
- Integrity – compliance with all legal, regulatory, and company rules and policies
Finance & Accounting Rotational Development Program associates further develop these competencies:
- Technical skills – researching, interpreting and applying finance/accounting rules and policies
- Analytical skills – identifying anomalies and explaining core variance drivers
- Communication and presentation skills
- Financial reporting – preparing financial statements and drafting footnotes
- Internal controls – understanding and complying with the internal controls environment
- Leadership – ability to utilize leadership skills in a collaborative team environment
Take charge of your career! Come learn and grow with the renewable energy industry leader!
This position is a job rotation into a particular business unit or department for a specified period of time. Employees in this job perform the specific duties of another position to increase business knowledge, develop new skills and gain a broader understanding of the business.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Participates in all assigned activities for the purpose of learning about the specific function(s)
- Gains understanding of business unit interactions, both internally and externally
- Makes impactful contributions that benefit both the business and the participant
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned
- High School Grad / GED
- Experience: 0+ years
- Bachelor's Degree
Employee Group: Exempt
Employee Type: Full Time
Job Category: Rotational Position
Organization: Florida Power & Light Company
Relocation Provided: No
Where permitted by applicable law, NextEra Energy requires all employees and new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccination on or before the first day of employment.
NextEra Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, age, national origin, religion, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetics, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace.
NextEra Energy provides reasonable accommodation in its application and selection process for qualified individuals, including accommodations related to compliance with conditional job offer requirements, consistent with federal, state, and local laws. Supporting medical or religious documentation will be required where applicable and permitted by applicable law. To request a reasonable accommodation, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, providing your name, telephone number and the best time for us to reach you. Alternatively, you may call 1-844-694-4748. Please do not use this line to inquire about your application status.
NextEra Energy will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
NextEra Energy does not accept any unsolicited resumes or referrals from any third-party recruiting firms or agencies. Please see our policy for more information.