Analytical Chemist (6103)
Exponent is a leading engineering and scientific consulting firm that brings together more than 90 different disciplines to solve the most pressing and complicated challenges facing stakeholders today. Our vision is to engage the brightest scientists and engineers to empower clients with solutions for a safe, healthy, sustainable and technologically complex world. We leverage over 50 years of experience in analyzing accidents and failures to advise clients as they innovate their technologically complex products and processes, ensure the safety and health of their users, and address the challenges of sustainability.
We offer opportunities for you to expand your engineering or scientific knowledge amidst experts with degrees from top programs at over 500 universities. At Exponent, you will apply your experience, technical skills, and prior academic research to a fulfilling career in consulting. You will have the opportunity to develop continuously through formal and informal development programs, coaching and mentoring, and involvement in a wide array of projects. We are excited about your interest in joining our growing team!
- 1100+ Team members
- 900+ Consultants
- 550+ Ph.D.s
- 30+ Offices globally
Exponent's Polymer Science & Materials Chemistry Practice is currently seeking an Analytical Chemist to join our consulting staff in our Menlo Park, CA office. Consulting efforts will be targeted in the area of product development, failure analysis, additive and stabilizer formulations, quality control, and compositional analysis as they relate to a range of consumer, industrial, health and environmental applications. This position requires some travel and will involve collaboration with scientists and engineers from other Exponent offices. A long-term goal for a successful candidate will be to develop business by obtaining new projects and bringing new clients to the firm with the opportunity to train and supervise additional analytical staff.
Responsibilities for this position include:
- Attending inspections, performing analytical testing and other scientific analyses to address chemistry-related issues related to the use, storage, and stability of materials
- Performing root cause analysis on a wide variety of failures related to issues arising in development, manufacturing or use of products in a variety of industries including consumer products, medical device, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, agriculture and other markets
- Gathering information from and conveying technical conclusions to individuals in engineering, business, law and industry, as well as communicating testing rationale in the context of product development, biocompatibility, product defect claims, and intellectual property disputes
- Overseeing management of chromatography instrumentation, related projects, and support personnel
- Overseeing ISO 9001 and ISO 17025 Quality System as it applies to laboratory instrumentation
- Participating or leading laboratory safety programs
Qualifications for this position include:
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, or a related field
- A strong theoretical knowledge of analytical characterization techniques as well as practical, hands-on experience, as applied to material science, is required
- Experience with sampling techniques and statistical data analysis for LC-MS , GC-MS, ICP-MS, ICP-OES, GPC, electrospray ionization, FTIR Spectroscopy, NMR Spectroscopy, and other techniques
- Familiarity with FDA, ICH, USP, EP lab quality regulations and procedures
- Industrial experience in GMP/GLP or ISO laboratory; method development/validation experience is desirable
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Superior problem-solving abilities
- Strong educational and publication credentials
- Strong teamwork and leadership skills
To learn more about life at Exponent and our impact, please visit the following links.
We value and encourage diversity, equity and inclusion across all facets of our firm. Having a team built of people with different backgrounds, skills and perspectives allows us to provide better value to our clients and enjoy an enriched work environment.
Our firm is committed to offering a variety of programs and resources to support health and well-being. We believe that providing competitive benefits as well as compensation and recognition programs empowers our staff to do work that makes a difference.
Exponent is a proud equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected status.
If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may email us at HR-Accommodations@exponent.com.