Energy Engineer (Entry Level, Washington, D.C.)
Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) provides research, consulting, and advisory services to improve commercial, residential, and multifamily built environments for private and public-sector clients. We specialize in energy, sustainability, and accessibility consulting as well as certification, research & development, and compliance services. Our team of professionals has led the way since 1972 in the development of best practices to achieve high performance buildings.
For more information on Steven Winter Associates, Inc., please visit https://www.swinter.com.
About the Role:
Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) is on the search for an entry level Energy Engineer for our Washington, D.C. office with a strong passion for improving the built environment to support our Building Operations, Decarbonization, and Efficiency team.
We are a dynamic, mission-driven, employee-owned company poised for growth across the multifamily and commercial sectors throughout the mid-Atlantic and Northeast.
This role will be an integral part of our expanding team, which is leveraging SWA’s 49-year track record to provide commissioning, energy auditing, and retrofit services to multifamily, commercial, institutional, cultural/art center, and community center buildings in the DC area and beyond. The successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to complete the following tasks with the technical and interpersonal skills outlined below that will help him or her excel at SWA.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Perform project work for:
- Commissioning projects for new construction and existing building retrofits.
- Benchmarking, energy auditing, and retro-commissioning for existing buildings.
- Complete technical project work including:
- Understand common HVAC systems and emerging high-performance alternatives.
- With guidance from Senior Engineers, identify energy- or carbon-saving strategies in existing buildings and develop savings calculations supporting recommendations.
- Review construction documents and provide recommendations to improve constructability, indoor air quality, energy efficiency, and operations.
- Review submittals, code requirements, and develop testing plans.
- Inspect installations of building equipment.
- Review and perform terminal unit functional testing.
- Document review comments and inspection findings in issues logs and memos.
- Provide written technical and non-technical reports for program compliance and ownership review.
- Work together with building owners, developers, architects, engineers, and contractors.
- Work with internal stakeholders including project managers, energy modelers, sustainability consultants, accessibility consultants, etc.
Duties, responsibilities, and activities will likely change, but changes to the role will be discussed as they are desired/needed.
How to Apply:
To be considered for this opportunity, please include a cover letter with your application.
This position is considered an entry-level (<2 years of experience) and will report to a Senior Engineer / Consultant.
**The job title for this position will be Building Systems Analyst.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related science degree (or working toward with known graduation date prior to start date).
- 0 – 2 years of relevant and consecutive work experience.
- Prior experience with building HVAC systems. Examples of prior experience may include a past internship, school coursework, or a college/university project.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Programs (in order of importance Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint).
- LEED Rating Systems.
- Utility billing analysis and energy savings spreadsheet calculations.
- Energy Code and/or ASHRAE standards.
- Washington, DC regional laws related to energy and climate (Clean Air and Energy Act of 2008, Clean Energy DC Omnibus Act of 2018, Montgomery County Benchmarking Law).
- Excellent communicator and presenter able to explain complex concepts to a variety of stakeholders.
- Attention to detail.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, maturity, credibility, confidence, and integrity.
- Strong time-management skills and experience managing multiple priorities at once.
- Collaborative with strong focus on teamwork.
- Excellent work ethic.
- Passionate about optimizing MEP systems and improving the built environment.
- Desire to love what you do.