Energy Engineer - Commissioning (Sr. Level - NYC)
Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) provides research, consulting and advisory services to improve commercial, residential and multifamily built environments for private and public-sector clients. We specialize in energy, sustainability and accessibility consulting as well as certification, research & development and compliance services. Our team of professionals has led the way since 1972 in the development of best practices to achieve high performance buildings.
For further information on Steven Winter Associates, please visit www.swinter.com.
About the Role:
SWA is on the search for an Energy Engineer - Commissioning (Senior Level) with a strong passion for improving the built environment to be part of our Building Operations, Decarbonization, and Efficiency (BODE) group, which provides commissioning, energy auditing, and retrofit implementation services and policy development for multifamily, commercial, institutional and community buildings in New York City and beyond.
Are you looking for a Cx role that doesn’t simply check the minimum requirements? From design and submittal reviews, through functional testing of MEP systems, SWA verifies that our project’s energy-related systems perform efficiently, reliably, and maintain occupant comfort. SWA’s Cx Engineers help deliver efficient, functional, maintainable buildings that continue to perform over their lifetime by advocating for building operators and incorporating lessons learned from other buildings. SWA’s holistic approach focuses on system and building level performance using our team’s diverse skillsets and knowledgebase.
The successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to complete the following tasks with the technical and interpersonal skills outlined below that will help them excel at SWA.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Perform project work for:
- New construction and retrofit commissioning services for multifamily, mixed use, commercial, and education buildings in the NYC Metropolitan areas and beyond.
- Complete technical project work and/or oversee completion of technical project work including:
- Review construction documents and provide recommendations to improve constructability, indoor air quality, energy efficiency, and operations.
- Identify and highlight big picture Cx concerns/issues to focus budget/effort on areas of impact.
- Review submittals, code requirements, and develop testing plans.
- Inspect installations of building equipment.
- Review and perform both central plant and terminal unit functional testing.
- Perform trend analysis.
- Provide innovative solutions to technical challenges.
- Provide and review written issue log findings and reports / memos and presentations.
- Facilitate effective collaboration between building owners, developers, architects, engineers, and contractors.
- Work with internal stakeholders including energy modelers, sustainability consultants, accessibility consultants, etc.
- Assume primary responsibility for the execution of small/medium projects including financials.
- Develop scopes of work for typical small/medium-sized projects including pricing, timelines, and proposals.
- Train and support junior staff members.
- Represent SWA in industry groups, committees, or associations.
- Provide and/or facilitate technical training for building industry professionals.
Duties, responsibilities, and activities will likely change, but changes to the role will be discussed as they are desired/needed.
SWA encourages professional growth and development and the BODE team offers opportunities to further explore its other service offerings.
**This position reports to a Principal Engineer / Director and will be classified as a Senior Building Systems Engineer.
How to Apply:
To be considered for this position, candidates must submit a cover letter with their application.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering.
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant and consecutive work experience to include: HVAC systems in large multifamily or commercial buildings.
- MEP system inspection/field work experience.
- NYC Energy Code and/or ASHRAE standards.
- Proficiency in MS Office365 Suite
- Advanced: Excel & Outlook
- Proficient: Word & PowerPoint
- A demonstrated understanding of commissioning services.
- Experience managing small to medium-size projects.
- NYC Local Laws related to energy and climate (Local Laws 84, 87, 95, and 97)
- LEED Rating Systems as they relate to commissioning and ventilation.
- Excellent oral and written communicator able to explain complex concepts to a variety of stakeholders.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, maturity, credibility, confidence and integrity.
- Strong time-management skills and experience managing multiple priorities at once.
- Collaborative with strong focus on teamwork.
- Excellent work ethic.
- Passionate about optimizing MEP systems and improving the built environment.