Building Systems Instructor (Sr. Level - NY)
Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) provides research, consulting, and advisory services to improve commercial, residential, and multifamily built environments for private and public-sector clients. We specialize in energy, sustainability, and accessibility consulting as well as certification, research & development, and compliance services. Our team of professionals has led the way since 1972 in the development of best practices to achieve high performance buildings.
For further information on Steven Winter Associates, please visit www.swinter.com.
About the Role:
SWA is on the search for a Building Systems Instructor (Senior Level) with a strong passion for improving the built environment to be part of our Building Operations, Decarbonization, and Efficiency (BODE) group, which provides commissioning, energy auditing, and retrofit implementation services and policy development for multifamily, commercial, institutional and community buildings in New York City and beyond.
The successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to complete the following tasks with the technical and interpersonal skills outlined below that will help them excel at SWA.
- Complete technical project work for Operations & Management training.
- Provide and/or facilitate technical training for other building industry professionals
- Work with internal stakeholders including project managers, service coordinators, service leads, etc.
- Assume primary responsibility for projects including project financials.
- Train and support junior staff members.
- The primary responsibility for this position will be conducting training as the lead trainer for the building operator training program (50%+ of the time). Additional responsibilities are available depending on this skills and interest of the successful candidate.
Duties, responsibilities, and activities will likely change, but changes to the role will be discussed as they are desired/needed.
SWA encourages professional growth and development and the BODE team offers opportunities to further explore its other service offerings.
**This position will be classified as a Senior Building Systems Engineer.
How to Apply:
To be considered for this position, candidates must submit a cover letter with their application.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If you have 75% of the required skills and experience with a willingness to learn, we encourage you to apply and to share more about yourself in your cover letter!
- Bachelor's Degree.
- 5-8+ years of relevant and consecutive work experience. Work experience relevant to this position must include experience with HVAC systems in large multifamily or commercial buildings.
- Experience conducting trainings for building staff.
- Experience conducting field inspections related to mechanical, electrical, and plumbing equipment.
- Thorough understanding of energy audits, retro-commissioning, and retrofit services.?
- Proficiency in MS Office365 Suite:
- Advanced: Teams, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
Preferred Knowledge / Bonus Skills:
- Hosting virtual training sessions and able to engage all participants.
- Familiarity with NYC Local Laws related to energy and climate (Local Laws 84, 87, 95 and 97).
- Energy Code and / or ASHRAE standards.
- Familiarity with steam systems, electrification and deep energy retrofit concepts.
- Multi-lingual in Spanish preferred. Other languages welcome.
- Excellent communicator and engaging presenter able to explain complex concepts to a variety of stakeholders.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Highly communicative and comfortable interacting with a wide array of internal and external stakeholders daily.
- Ability to take ownership of tasks and initiatives and moved them forward to completion.
- Organizational and time management skills, ability to prioritize the most critical tasks and deliverables.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, maturity, credibility, and confidence.
- Collaborative with strong focus on teamwork.
- Passionate about optimizing MEP systems and improving the built environment.