Energy Engineer - Decarbonization (Sr. Level, NYC)
Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) provides research, consulting, and advisory services to improve commercial, residential, and multifamily built environments for private and public-sector clients. We specialize in energy, sustainability, and accessibility consulting as well as certification, research & development, and compliance services. We are a dynamic employee-owned company poised for growth across the multifamily and commercial sectors across the Northeast and beyond. Our team of professionals has led the way since 1972 in the development of best practices to achieve high performance buildings.
For further information on Steven Winter Associates, please visit www.swinter.com.
About the Role:
SWA is on the search for a Sr. Energy Engineer – Decarbonization for our NYC office. Candidate will display a strong passion for improving the built environment and be part of our Building Operations, Decarbonization, and Efficiency (BODE) group, which provides commissioning, energy auditing, and retrofit implementation services and policy development for multifamily, commercial, institutional and community buildings in New York City and beyond.
In addition to traditional energy audits, a key part of the role will involve decarbonization feasibility and retrofit consulting services to support clients in meeting carbon-emissions reductions as mandated by New York City’s Climate Mobilization Act Local Law 97. New York City’s Local Law 97 (LL97) was developed to encourage reductions in carbon emissions from the building sector. Approximately 20% of buildings will have to undergo retrofits or face ongoing fines starting in 2025. That percentage jumps to roughly 75% in 2030. Capital work to reduce carbon emissions takes years to plan, design, finance, and execute and our clients are actively seeking or help to assist them with this process.
The successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to complete the following tasks with the technical and interpersonal skills outlined below that will help them excel at SWA.
How to Apply:
- To be considered for this position, candidates must submit a cover letter with their application.
- We support our employees to focus on our strengths to drive engagement. If you have 75% of the required skills and experience with a willingness to learn, we encourage you to apply and share more about yourself in your cover letter.
- Steven Winter Associates is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. In keeping with our commitment, SWA will take the steps to assure that people with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations.
**This position title will be a Senior Building Systems Engineer.
- Perform project work for:
- Decarbonization feasibility studies and retrofit implementation services for existing buildings.
- Energy auditing and retro-commissioning for existing buildings.
- Manage complex projects (financial, scope, client relationships) across the BODE services outlined above.
- Complete technical project work and/or oversee completion of technical project work to include:
- Review construction documents and provide recommendations to improve. constructability, indoor air quality, energy efficiency, and operations.
- Review submittals, code requirements, and develop testing plans.
- Survey of existing building equipment.
- Inspect retrofits / upgrades of building equipment.
- Review and perform both central plant and terminal unit retro-commissioning / functional testing.
- Perform trend analysis.
- Lead development of energy savings strategies and calculations.
- Provide innovative solutions to technical challenges.
- Review energy savings calculations of others for correctness and for adherence to incentive and clean energy financing program rules.
- Provide and review written technical and non-technical issue log findings and reports / memos and presentations.
- Work with internal stakeholders to include project managers, energy modelers, sustainability consultants, accessibility consultants, etc.
- Assume primary responsibility for the execution of small to medium projects including project financials.
- Develop scopes of work for typical small to medium-sized projects including pricing, timelines, and proposals.
- Lead communication with building owners, developers, architects, engineers, and contractors.
- Train and support junior staff members.
- Represent SWA in industry groups, committees, or associations.
- Provide and/or facilitate technical training for building industry professionals.
Duties, responsibilities, and activities will likely change, but changes to the role will be discussed as they are desired/needed.
SWA encourages professional growth and development and the BODE team offers opportunities to further explore other service offerings.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering.
- 5+ years relevant and consecutive experience.
- Work relevant to this position must include experience with HVAC systems in large multifamily or or commercial buildings.
- Experience conducting field inspections related to mechanical, electrical and plumbing equipment.
- Understand common HVAC systems and engineering high-performance alternatives.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel with proficiency in other MS Office Suite programs.
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of energy audits, retro-commissioning and retrofit services.
- Experience managing small to medium size projects.
- Utility billing analysis and energy savings spreadsheet calculations.
- Energy Code and / or ASHRAE standards.
- Familiarity with NYC Local Laws related to energy and climate (Local Laws 84,87. 95 and 97).
- Familiarity with steam systems, electrification and deep energy retrofit concepts.
- Ability to communicate novel or complex concepts and related facts in a clear, concise, manner in any format (e.g., written, oral, presentation) to a variety of stakeholders.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, ability to prioritize critical tasks and deliverables.
- Comfortable speaking up to clarify, correct or add new ideas.
- Collaborative with strong focus on teamwork.
- Excellent work ethic.
- Passionate about optimizing MEP systems and improving the built environment.
- Ability to take ownership of tasks and initiatives and move them forward to completion.
- Desire to love what you do.