Accessibility Consultant - Washington, D.C.
Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) provides research, consulting and advisory services to improve commercial, residential and multifamily built environments for private and public-sector clients. We specialize in energy, sustainability and accessibility consulting as well as certification, research & development and compliance services. Our team of professionals has led the way since 1972 in the development of best practices to achieve high performance buildings.
For further information on Steven Winter Associates, please visit www.swinter.com.
About the Role:
SWA is on the search for an Accessibility Consultant for our Washington D.C. office. The ideal candidate will have a strong passion to drive social justice by helping clients remove physical barriers to access that has historically marginalized people with disabilities. SWA's Accessibility team is recognized for improving the way people live by helping clients create accessible and more inclusive built environments. We strive to provide consistently exceptional and reliable solutions-driven accessibility and inclusive design consulting with the goal of exceeding expectations of our business partners and transforming their approach to development and acquisitions.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
1. Participate in all phases of the firm’s accessibility-related business sector, including review of plans, specifications, and product submittals for compliance with federal, state, and local accessible design requirements; field inspections at various stages of construction and existing building audits to confirm compliance with accessibility requirements; technical assistance during project development; remediation plan development; and training.
2. Become proficient in highly specialized regulations, codes, standards, and other relevant criteria:
- Accessibility regulations, including the Americans with Disabilities Act, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Fair Housing Amendments Act, and other state and local regulations;
- Accessibility requirements of the building code, including the International Building Code and other state and local codes;
- Accessibility standards and guidelines, including the 2010 Standards for Accessible Design, the Uniform Federal Accessibility Standards, ANSI A117.1, and others.
3. Investigate, analyze, and respond to technical inquiries concerning accessibility issues.
4. Participate in meetings with project teams.
Duties, responsibilities, and activities will likely change, but changes to the role will be discussed as they are desired/needed.
How to Apply:
To be considered for this position, candidates must submit a cover letter with their application.
A writing sample will be required to be submitted as part of the application process.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
**This position will report into an Accessibility Consulting Director.
- Bachelor of Architecture, BS in Architecture, BS in Architectural Technology, and at least two years of work experience required; or BS in unrelated field with a minimum of five years work experience in the field of Accessibility Consulting with demonstrated experience in conducting plan reviews and field inspections.
- Demonstrated command of navigating plan documents from schematic design and design development through construction documents.
- Ability to communicate highly specialized and technical information to a variety of audiences, in writing and verbally.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Programs (Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint)
- CAD experience
- Adobe InDesign experience
Technical skills/certifications achieved within the first year of employment:
- ICC-certified Accessibility Inspector and Plans Examiner.
- Interest in highly specialized and technical work.
- Organized and detail oriented.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced collaborative environment.
- Ability to multitask and manage time efficiently, and work independently when required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, maturity, credibility, confidence, and integrity.
- Collaborative with strong focus on teamwork.
Steven Winter Associates, Inc., is not partnering with agencies nor accepts unsolicited resumes and will not be responsible for any fees or expenses related to such unsolicited resumes and/or applicants.
SWA is an Equal Opportunity Employer – all qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability, or marital status.