Senior Accessibility Consultant - Washington, D.C.
Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) provides research, consulting and advisory services to improve commercial, residential and multifamily built environments for private and public-sector clients. We specialize in energy, sustainability and accessibility consulting as well as certification, research & development and compliance services. Our team of professionals has led the way since 1972 in the development of best practices to achieve high performance buildings.
For further information on Steven Winter Associates, please visit www.swinter.com.
About the Role:
SWA is on the search for a Sr. Accessibility Consultant for it's Washington, D.C. office to help build the team's Mid Atlantic market. The ideal candidate will have industry contacts and experience in business development, staff management & project management.
SWA is committed to driving social justice by helping clients remove physical barriers to access that has historically marginalized people with disabilities. The team is recognized for improving the way people live by helping clients create accessible and more inclusive built environments. We strive to provide consistently exceptional and reliable solutions-driven accessibility and inclusive design consulting with the goal of exceeding expectations of our business partners and transforming their approach to development and acquisitions.
- Develop Accessibility Consulting business in the Mid Atlantic Market with support from senior management.
- Build DC-based accessibility team and provide staff management.
- Serve as a technical resource and support internal training and staff development.
- Execute projects and be accountable for achieving results.
- Participate in all phases of the firm’s accessibility-related business sector, including review of plans, specifications, and product submittals for compliance with federal, state, and local accessible design requirements; field inspections at various stages of construction and existing building audits to confirm compliance with accessibility requirements; technical assistance during project development; remediation plan development; and training.
Duties, responsibilities, and activities will likely change, but changes to the role will be discussed as they are desired/needed.
How to Apply:
- To be considered for this position, candidates must submit a cover letter with their application.
- A writing sample will be required to be submitted as part of the application process.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor of Architecture, BS in Architecture, BS in Architectural Technology, and at 10+ years of work experience required; or BS in unrelated field with a minimum of 10 years work experience in the field of Accessibility Consulting.
- Experience in business development, team building and staff management.
- Demonstrated accessibility expertise.
- Ability to communicate highly specialized and technical information to a variety of audiences, both written and verbal.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Programs (Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint)
Technical skills/certifications achieved within the first year of employment:
- Outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced collaborative environment.
- Ability to multitask and manage time efficiently, and work independently when required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Collaborative with strong focus on teamwork.